Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member with first post. Just picked me up a brand new 1971 Horse (SN 20480) that is in great condition for its age. Just going through it and changing all the maintenance necessities but am a bit stumped when it comes to the rear tine gear oil. Every manual and thread I can find says to check the fluid dipstick on the tine shield but there is no such thing on my tiller. Does this mean that the PTO and rear tine cases are one compartment and I only need worry about the oil level on the PTO. Im sure someone has posted about this before but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,423 Posts
I believe they are all one unit. If it's the same machine, there should be an oil level bung three inches above the left wheel. When you pour the gear oil (SAE 140 or SAE 90 gear oil or equiv.) into the transmission, it is full when the oil runs out of that hole.... then replace the bung (Bolt)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe they are all one unit. If it's the same machine, there should be an oil level bung three inches above the left wheel. When you pour the gear oil (SAE 140 or SAE 90 gear oil or equiv.) into the transmission, it is full when the oil runs out of that hole.... then replace the bung (Bolt)

Thanks for the reply Pogobill! This is kind of what i figured, makes my job a bit easier now. Not sure what the previous owner(s) ran in this gear case but what came out looked like cambell's tomato soup and had the consistency of latex paint! Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Horse Master Parts Catalog is posted on page 10 of the manuals section of this forum.

It's actually more than just a parts catalog. There is some text in there that explains how the gear boxes actually work

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Please make sure you have the rear tines up on an 8" block when checking fluid levels as this is the approximate angle of the tiller when operating. If this is not done, you will not have the correct amount of fluids in the tiller. I blew a motor in my 1974 horse by not doing this. The exact fit B&S replacement motor had this in a big WARNING label. It was never mentioned in the original operating manual

1 - 7 of 7 Posts