·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,
Purchased a 1963 Ford 4000.
Has a select o magic transmission
2 wheel drive with loader & pto.
Replaced almost every hose to new in the past year.

It was purchased from a a local guy who stated it only had high gear only. When it was at our warehouse where the tractor was worked on & we had the service manual I purchased online for that year but the transmission would not engage all the gears. Purchased a brand new transmission control valve assembly.
Installed it & same thing. We put the old back in. Same thing.
When the rear tires are off the ground it engages all gears forward & reverse properly. Any ideas on what needs to be done to get this to work?
Spring is coming & need to do a lot of work on our 20 plus acre farm.

Thanks
BD

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hi BD,

Can you get one gear to engage with power to the ground? As I read your post, you stated that with wheels off the ground you can engage all gears forward and reverse properly, but I assume that you have no power to the wheels in any gear when on the ground?

Two possibilities common to all gears in SOS tractors: 1) Torque limiting clutch fail. 2) Sliding sleeve disconnect between transmission and rear differential disconnected or stripped splines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply BigT.
Everything work find on regular asphalt at our shop. No reverse when on the ground. It will engage & rock the tractor in all gears but most of them do not rock like some of the others.
#1 For sure is high gear works by feathering the clutch but it moves very fast when clutch is released but requires finesse to get it rolling..

What will it take to repair the unit in either case "1) Torque limiting clutch fail. 2) Sliding sleeve disconnect"

I am not sure if there are adjustments to be made as the service manual states.

Thanks for the feed back & great info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also do you or anyone on the forum know of a good mechanic to do the work in Michigan thumb area near Imlay city 48444.

Thank you all for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts