Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tractor has run very well in the past. Has a hydraulic issue. After repair and a couple of months sitting. Tractor will not start. I read a post in 2015 with the exact problems/symptoms. In the thread he mentioned a cutoff switch. I have checked the owners manual and i can't find this part on the tractor. I have replaced just about everything electrical on this tractor. I've rewired the tractor as well. All new items: Battery, solenoid starter, distributor removed and cleaned and installed with new cap, rotor. points and condenser, coil, plugs and wires. The points and plugs were gapped (i believe) to correct specs. I've had the generator refurbished and is operating well. Removed and cleaned carb. updated with new carb kit. The gas was drained and replaced, the sediment bowl is fine with a good filter. I have gas thru the carb. Problem is that i don't get gas to the cylinders. The plugs are dry while turning over. I've checked the timing by having the #1 cylinder plow out the plug and then realigning the pointer with the pully mark. A trick that i saw Squach sr. use was turn the key switch on and with the plug and wire not installed but grounded to the frame, adjusted the distributor to get a spark to fine tune. I did this and it worked for about 3 sparks and now it won't spark at all. Tried starting after installing plug #1 and it would not start. I've tried starter fluid into the carb intake and tried gas in the cylinders as well with no success. I have to believe either i have a timing issue or the points are set incorrect. i believe they are correct but something isn't correct. Thank you very much for your time and inputs!

·
922 Posts
Is the float level set correctly?
If you place your hand in front of the carburetor (after removing the air line) and crank the engine does it suck your hand into the carburetor?
In other words is it pulling a good vacuum when cranking over?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the float level set correctly?
If you place your hand in front of the carburetor (after removing the air line) and crank the engine does it suck your hand into the carburetor?
In other words is it pulling a good vacuum when cranking over?
Yes i believe that it is set properly. I had the carb. rebuilt and it has run since then. I have had it off to verify that there is no plugs. everything is clear inside. I do have a good suction when the inlet hose is disconnected.

·
922 Posts
If you put a spare plug on one of the wires and ground the base of the plug does it spark?
Does your choke butterfly work?
Also if you know someone with an old dwell meter that can verify your points,
also an inductive timeing light can verify your spark.
Dwell should be around 45 degrees.
And this one has bit me more then once, after checking the points did the rotor get put back in?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you tried using starter fluid to see if you get anything? Also maybe try temporarily running a jumper from the battery to coil and trying to fire her up. If you get anything it might give you some idea of he direction you need to take.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you put a spare plug on one of the wires and ground the base of the plug does it spark?
Does your choke butterfly work?
Also if you know someone with an old dwell meter that can verify your points,
also an inductive timeing light can verify your spark.
Dwell should be around 45 degrees.
And this one has bit me more then once, after checking the points did the rotor get put back in?
Thanks, I do get spark, the choke does work and get great suction to the carb when cupping inlet. I don't have a timing light and will ask a friend for the dwell meter. The rotor is in place. I'm going down to camp this weekend and i'm going to start from scratch. Re-check the points and also take the distributor and housing unit off and check to make sure it is installed correctly. I think something there may be the problem. Also am going to install "flame thrower" coil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried using starter fluid to see if you get anything? Also maybe try temporarily running a jumper from the battery to coil and trying to fire her up. If you get anything it might give you some idea of he direction you need to take.
Thank you, I will try the jumer to the coil. Yes i have tried starting fluid and nothing. That's why i'm thiking either timing or points are not correct. Thanks again!

·
922 Posts
If you are getting a spark at the #1 plug at the right time by the timing mark, it's either correct or 180 degrees out.
If you've been getting spark and fuel I would have expected at least a pop out of her once in a while or at least wet plugs.
I am surprised that mention having dry plugs after much cranking.
Good Luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Try this Pull the distributer cap crank the engine watch the points to be sure they are opening and closing .
Then move the engine till they open .Pull the coil wire hold it close to the engine. Next short the points with a screw driver . Use a touch remove quickly motion. or move the lobe till the points are closed And quickly open and close the points. The next step would be check the points to see if they are badly burned . You should be getting a reaction with starting fluid .Since your not .I question the ignition switch .Could be it is not functioning properly .Check voltage to the coil with the switch on. Then check voltage to the coil with engine cranking .With starting fluid you should get a reaction even if the distributor is off time.
.Since the cam is gear driven .A compression test should tell you if the compression is building .Check every cylinder .As for the dry plugs Your carbarator jet is still plugged. Have you opened or adjusted the fuel metering adjustment screw ?If adjusting the fuel metering screw has no effect.Then pull the carborator completly disassemble it . Clean it again and be sure to pull the jet make sure it is clean .Check to be sure oxidation isn't the problem .If there is oxidation scrub it clean .If it is really bad sand blast the bowl .Evey tiny hole has to be free of gum and varnish debris. It only takes a tiny piece of trash to stop fuel from flowing. And be sure there is no water in the bowl .Water is heavier than gas and will give the same effect as a stopped up fuel jet .And last don't give up.After all everyone woth old tractors knows ( IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING ) good luck .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try this Pull the distributer cap crank the engine watch the points to be sure they are opening and closing .
Then move the engine till they open .Pull the coil wire hold it close to the engine. Next short the points with a screw driver . Use a touch remove quickly motion. or move the lobe till the points are closed And quickly open and close the points. The next step would be check the points to see if they are badly burned . You should be getting a reaction with starting fluid .Since your not .I question the ignition switch .Could be it is not functioning properly .Check voltage to the coil with the switch on. Then check voltage to the coil with engine cranking .With starting fluid you should get a reaction even if the distributor is off time.
.Since the cam is gear driven .A compression test should tell you if the compression is building .Check every cylinder .As for the dry plugs Your carbarator jet is still plugged. Have you opened or adjusted the fuel metering adjustment screw ?If adjusting the fuel metering screw has no effect.Then pull the carborator completly disassemble it . Clean it again and be sure to pull the jet make sure it is clean .Check to be sure oxidation isn't the problem .If there is oxidation scrub it clean .If it is really bad sand blast the bowl .Evey tiny hole has to be free of gum and varnish debris. It only takes a tiny piece of trash to stop fuel from flowing. And be sure there is no water in the bowl .Water is heavier than gas and will give the same effect as a stopped up fuel jet .And last don't give up.After all everyone woth old tractors knows ( IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING ) good luck .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve read all the replies & they have covered most everything I could have offered , except , when you said
dry plugs & I’ve seen this happen … have you got plenty of gas in the tank ?
Couch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts