Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on it for the last two weeks or so off and on, and it occurred to me that I should make a Build/Repair thread to track the progress.

First thing I needed to do was replace the blown out rear main seal which prevented me from going to the Tractor parade this year, I was going to take it to the parade in it's work clothes but now that she is mostly apart I will clean it up and paint it.
IMG_5666.JPG
IMG_5669.JPG

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In between other jobs I cleaned and primed the rear wheel weights
IMG_5655.JPG

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both halves bolted back together with new seal, clutch, pressure plate and release bearing.
IMG_5676.JPG

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fast forward to tonight, and this is where I am at......tomorrow I will have the front axle out and the bolster off.
IMG_5694.JPG

To my surprise, not one bolt on the radiator broke or pulled threads....amazing.

IMG_5695.JPG

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Should be interesting to watch this project bloom!

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pulled the front axle and bolster, and washed down the block.
IMG_5696.JPG
IMG_5700.JPG
IMG_5702.JPG

Reactions: geoff l and FredM

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
while I was waiting for the block to dry, I mixed up some paint and blasted one of the wheels I cleaned up a few days ago
IMG_5704.JPG

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heck of good winter project. :)
if I let it take that long, I'm kind of impulsive and once I dig into something it's hard to stop or slow down......:D

Reactions: geoff l and Thomas

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMG_5706.JPG
IMG_5707.JPG

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the lights in my garage make it look like chevy orange, but it is farmall red

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
waiting for the seal to arrive for the steering housing so today I just painted a few of the parts that I cleaned up yesterday
IMG_5719.JPG
IMG_5720.JPG
IMG_5725.JPG
IMG_5727.JPG
IMG_5729.JPG
IMG_5722.JPG

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Bill, it looks like things are going to slow down on the project for a while, it's starting to get colder and the wife is nagging me to remodel the laundry room and a sink and other crazy stuff.....sigh..........but I will still sneak out to the garage at night and do what I can, thank God it's heated!

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
One item: Go to your Case/IH dealer and get the safety fuel cap. Should be free as part of a class action lawsuit settlement, and avoids modern gasoline exploding from the engine heat.

We still use these tractors in the onion fields, and they are great, just not designed for the highly volatile gasoline of today without that safety cap.

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the updated free gas cap for all three of my cubs, thank you for pointing it out though.

·
Retired Canadian
916 Posts
I always liked to take a Cub as a trade-in when I sold MF , we always had someone (or two) wanting one. Plus, we could deliver if from a 1/2 ton pickup.
Yours is coming along great!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts