Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten this mower of mine 2 years back when it was not running, I clean every nook and cranny and even replaced parts of the carb, and now the engine is running great eccept it burns a little oil. And yes I have adjusted the carb. Its running the best it can right now. No other setting makes it run better, only worse. Its allways fouling spark plug, and I have to sand blast it aftor a while to get it clean again. Since this thing is 16 years old, I know for a fact it is worn pisten rings. Believe me the carb is not the issue here, it is as clean as a wissle, and adjusted properly.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
"The only stupid question is the one you did not ask".

Sorry, didn't see the :question:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well first make sure you the the right kind, and the right ammount of oil. Make sure the airfilter is clean, becouse thats probably how the dirty air get in there to do the damange. Is the breather plugged? on a single cyl motor, the fuction of the breather is vary imporant.[I assume it's a single, becouse you said plug]

If all that checks out, unless it fogging out the nabourhood I would junp up to a hotter plug. Should keep you running.

BTW 16 is not that old for a motor. With care, and with normal homeowner use, could go much longer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am using SAE 30 oil. Would those gold sparkplugs you see on B&S website be a hotter range of plugs?

No it is not fogging up the neighborhood. Infact you can barely see any smoke coming out of the egsaust. But it seems to be enough to foul the sparkplug.

Could it also be the breather? If it possible, where is the breather located on a single cylinder engine.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
I am sure that this 16yr old engine is just worn and tired --- Would guess that the compression is getting low and oil is getting past the rings affecting overall performance and causing the oil loss. So either deal with putting a little oil back into it and keeping it running or go for an overhaul (probably too costly for this unless you have the parts/tools very handy) --- or go for a refurnished engine if you really need one. Are you sandblasting the sparkplugs?!?! ----- don't think anything small will "fix" your engine problems..... No Marvel Mystery Oil or anything magical will remedy your worn ring issue. Just fix it or maintain it.

Bye

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks admin. Even when I think I already know whats wrong with it, I wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks very much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts