Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor came to me this morning with a strange problem.
It seems that his gas is running out his tank into the crankcase
My suggestion was that his float was stuck and the gas was going through the carb. Is it possible for it to go through the tube that creates the vacuum in the crankcase. It leaks without the motor running. No time to check it out until next week, going out of town for a while.

What'cha think
Avery

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
It does sound like a float problem. On the vertical shaft engines I have the crankcase vent is tied in above the intake manifold. So I think the gas is probably just running in the cylinder through the intake manifold, then around the rings into the crankcase. Also if it has a fuel pump mounted to the side of the engine, I think there is an internal membrane or gasket that can rupture allowing the fuel back into the crankcase. If the gas tank is mounted above the engine, which I think it is, you probably don't have a fuel pump on it anyway.

Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark

Wish I had time to work on it but, must go stay with granddaughters while parents out of town on business.
Maybe he won't have it fixed when I get back Thursday
and I can check it out.
Will let you know how it turns out.

Later
Avery

·
Registered
209 Posts
Most Murrays have gravity feed tanks w/o a fuel pump.The poor float needle cant fight the fuel trying to follow gravity.Worse witha full tank. Put an in line fuel shut off between tank and carb. Turn it off when not in use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts