Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings, I have a 1210 with 610 hrs. I ordered. rec'd and installed a replacement after market steering shaft. Tested the steering by doing figure 8's and left and right hand turns in 2wd. Steering was a bit tighter than before not any "slop". I thought that was just due to new gear. A few days later I drove about 150 yards, hooked up brush hog, drove another 150 yards and started mowing. 100 feet into the mow with no warning and only turning the wheel slightly left to navigate around a tree the replacement shaft failed in almost the same place! So I am looking for information on what is the cause. Any one out there ever experience this?

K

·
1,093 Posts
Not that particular experience, but I have seen multiple failures in a 1210 steering box. I "rebuilt" one once, and it failed soon after. I sent it to a firm that claimed to have the parts and expertise to repair it. Again, it failed soon after. In this case the issue was in the shaft/gear unit with the track of steel balls. Seems it just wouldn't handle the stress of steering with the weight of a loader involved.

My solution was an aftermarket steering unit designed for small Kubota compacts. Some modifications and fabrication got it to fit and work just fine. Still going as far as I know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a (new to me) Ford 1210 with loader (Hardy 20B - made in Quebec Canada), and previous owner noted a steering box rebuild in its earlier life. I used it with loader about 4 hours and steering went from working to full failure in the last 2 minutes of operation. Inside the box, ball nut and its little recirculating balls have disintegrated, and so new aftermarket assy (shaft with ball nut) has been ordered. Lower shaft bearing looks shot so upper and lower bearings also on order. I think I had proper steering wheel free play.... (there is a cam adjuster down on the box right side cover to adjust the free play at the sector shaft), but too tight (no play) sounds not good. In my case the lower bearing race is really bad... maybe that part wasn't dealt with before... and made too much play in short order?
And maybe the loader is too much to ask... I'm speculating but there seems to be a pattern with weak ball nut and or abuse by having a loader.
Anyway, I'm about to do my own rebuild and see how it goes with aftermarket shaft assy and with free play setting from the manual.
Somewhere else I saw a JD 318 hydraulic steering conversion... reasonable cost with good used parts and some fab skill... that may be plan B.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
With that type of steering gear it's imperative to set the preload / clearance correctly or you will destroy it pretty quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts