Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Good Morning Timothy, welcome to the tractor forum.

Unfortunately, worm gears #1058 and #1063 are no longer available and there are no alternative replacements.

You could try a machine shop, but I suspect it will be cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Not to step on you BigT, but the reason people have trouble finding that 1063 brass gear is because the part# was changed to 2675. There is also a CP11527 kit that includes the worm gear, plus the necessary shims, key, and shaft bearings. The 2675 gear alone runs about $95, the CP11527 kit is about $135. Since he's already torn down to where he's in that gear box, I'd spend the extra $40 and replace those 49 year old shaft bearings;)
2675 Gear
CP11527 Kit

The 1058 gear is tough to find new also, but here's some new NOS stock on E-bay for $30, they're listing 5 available, and free shipping. This is a deal for that hard to find gear NEW, I'd jump on it
Genuine MTD Parts, Gear Worm 1.25, Part # GW-1058 OEM | eBay

BTW - By the serial #, his Horse was built in the 1st quarter of 1972 and should be one of the last 300 units built with the 7" cast spoke wheels. The change came to 8" steel wheels with Serial #31456

You gotta love those old Horse tillers, they don't build stuff like that any more.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Morning Timothy, welcome to the tractor forum.

Unfortunately, worm gears #1058 and #1063 are no longer available and there are no alternative replacements.

You could try a machine shop, but I suspect it will be cost prohibitive.
Hello BigT, yeah I was hoping someone may have these off a salvaged unit.
I have a couple tillers I use for spare parts.
Cost of a welded shaft assembly is $245 + tax & shipping, I'll keep looking there are quite a few old horses
still out there.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Timothy,
Bob Driver has found 5 ea. new 1058 worm gears on ebay for $30 each. That is a good deal.

My Troy Bilt dealer has no information regarding the worm gear P/N change from 1063 to 2675, however, I read a statement on an internet post confirming that the 2675 replaces the 1063.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Timothy,
Bob Driver has found 5 ea. new 1058 worm gears on ebay for $30 each. That is a good deal.

My Troy Bilt dealer has no information regarding the worm gear P/N change from 1063 to 2675, however, I read a statement on an internet post confirming that the 2675 replaces the 1063.
BigT -- I did this same job last year, but I got to thinking "those worms are cut in two different directions", so I went back and checked my notes on the work order.....

Part # 1058 is the polished steel worm on the Drive Wheel end of the assembled drive shaft. The bronze wheel drive gear was Part #1057 up to Serial #33547. Starting with Serial # 33548, the bronze wheel drive gear changed to Part #1221

Part # 1063 is the polished steel worm on the Tiller Drive end of the assembled drive shaft......
Part # 2675 superseded Part # 1064 -- This is bronze tiller shaft drive gear and runs against the 1063 shaft worm gear

The problem was the bronze gear (1064) on the tiller end of the job I did. That's why I went with the CP11527 kit and replaced the tiller shaft bearings also. If he needs the actual back shaft steel worm (1063), you're right...... He's screwed finding it new and his only option is Part# 1902 a complete welded shaft @ $250. I don't think I've ever seen the steel shaft worms worn out beyond use (pitted from water sometimes), but it's always been the softer bronze worm gears that I've had to replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts