Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 100' x 1/2" choker skidder cable yesterday. Cost about $89 with swaging the thimble, slidder, and loop on with shipping & tax. I was having problems getting at downed trees on a steep slope. I am hoping that I can skid the trees up to the top of the hill in the open so I can cut them up for firewood. It sure would beat carrying the wood up the hill. I will post a followup on how well it works out.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I had the money for a winch. Would be nice. I can use the cable for pulling down trees and ripping out the root ball together as well.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well!..................... my 100' skidder/choker cable arrived today. I was all psych'd up and opened it to drool and gloat over it and noticed they put the wrong end on the cable. I got them to make me up another piece of cable with rope eye ends on both ends and I can join the pieces of cable together with a screw pin shackle. Oh, well, I get another 8 ' of cable and have to buy a shackle. Coulda been worse. The cable should provide loads of entertainment trying to coil it up when I am done using it! :idea: :cowboy: :smiles:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Cheif, wear gloves!!!! I use a logging winch here on the farm and got a piece of cable in my fore arm this summer. About 1-1 1/4" long, right in out of sight!! It went in parralel to the suface of the skin (lucky!!!) and I had to hold down on the inward end so Dad could get hold of it to pull it out. [email protected] thing stung for a couple of days!!

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely do the gloves. I use a hardhat with muffs & a face cage as well. Also wear double thickness Carhartt work pants or chaps. Never can be too careful. The best safety device is the one between your ears. ALWAYS think 2 or 3 times before you act. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
I definitely do the gloves. I use a hardhat with muffs & a face cage as well. Also wear double thickness Carhartt work pants or chaps. Never can be too careful. The best safety device is the one between your ears. ALWAYS think 2 or 3 times before you act. :thumbsup:
Right on, I always use the hard hat and face shield too,,,, ever since I caught a twig in the eye off the saw and scratched my eyeball!:rolleyes: You have no idea how much your eyes move when your walking, driving, etc, till you have a scratch or something like that, that lets you know about it!!!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by parts man
Right on, I always use the hard hat and face shield too,,,, ever since I caught a twig in the eye off the saw and scratched my eyeball!:rolleyes: You have no idea how much your eyes move when your walking, driving, etc, till you have a scratch or something like that, that lets you know about it!!!
OH YA!!! I had a sliver of steel in my eye from cutting off a ujoint on my Jeep. OMG it HURT. Could not eaven blink. Went 5 days before a Dr. finly found something in there, and got it out.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by parts man
Cheif, wear gloves!!!!
You only have to get a few of those "fish hooks" from the cable in your hands. I don;t go NEAR a cable without them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts