About 60 years ago in the year 1953, a merger was conducted between two companies. The participants in this merger were Massey Harris and the Ferguson Company. This merger resulted in what went on to become Massey Harris Ferguson until 1958 when the name was shortened to Massey Ferguson.
Massey Harris itself was founded in 1847 by Daniel Massey. Born in Ontario, Canada and originally known as the Newcastle Foundry and Machine Manufactory, the company got its start by building mechanical threshers. Originally this consisted of building only parts but in time a graduating move was made to building actual threshers themselves. In 1879, expansion took place under the hand of Daniel\'s son Hart Almerrin Massey and the company was then titled Massey Manufacturing Co. in their new Toronto location where they found great success. Despite booms in United States industry, tariffs stood in the way of those manufacturers being able to sell their products in Canada, so it was Massey Manufacturing Co. that cornered the Canadian market.
By the time 1891 rolled around, Massey merged with A. Harris, Son & Co. Ltd. This resulted in name change to the Massey-Harris Co. This endeavor also resulted in great success as the company expanded into the United States by way of New York. In time they became the first to introduce both a self-propelled combine harvester and one of the first known four wheel drive tractors.
Meanwhile, around the year 1934, Harry Ferguson joined forces with David Brown to form the Ferguson-Brown Company. This duo was responsible for production of the Model A Ferguson-Brown tractor which featured a hydraulic hitch designed by Ferguson. Come 1938, Ferguson found himself in business with Henry Ford to create Ford-Ferguson tractors equipped with the three point hitch created by Ferguson. The popularity of this device was known to be worldwide and in time Ferguson\'s design was produced by the Standard Motor Company Limited; it was the responsibility of this branch to make tractors for the eastern hemisphere while Ford would produce for the western but instead Ferguson split with Ford amidst a lawsuit over patents in 1946. Ferguson did continue on with the Standard Motor Company, producing a new design.
At long last in 1953, the paths of Ferguson and Massey-Harris finally aligned. Together they manufactured tractors and other designs but the three point linkage that made Massey so renowned had become replicated worldwide and the demand was not as great. The company went on to face great struggles and falter, but not before creating the Massey-Harris Pony.
The Massey-Harris Pony was a utility tractor that had a Continental N62 4 cylinder gasoline engine that was liquid cooled. The engine was a water cooled flathead in 1.0 liter with 10 horsepower at the drawbar and 11 horsepower at the belt pulley. The transmission was a 3 speed unsynchronized gear with one reverse and a 3.6 quart oil capacity. Manual steering existed on the 4x2 chassis and brakes were differential mechanical contracting band.
This machine was manufactured from 1947-1957, around the time when the Massey-Harris name changed to Massey Ferguson and the company began to fail. Other attempts at mergers came and went until the current state of Massey falls under ownership of Dromson. Although present day versions of Massey Ferguson are built for the purpose of tending vineyards, the Pony lives on in our hearts and a few barns around the world. It may no longer gallop across the fields, but the Massey-Harris Pony is not forgotten.