What is "Case-O-Matic

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by synway, Jun 1, 2008.

1. synway

synway New Member

May 27, 2008
    Wow... I am new to tractor power ownership, and my first tractor this guy got is a 410B case tractor...
    Know I had powerwashed the dirty thing down and installed a loader frame with a blade on the front to move snow in the winter. ( have heart issues and can't bare to watch my wife snow float our drive so she can work on her clients, nuff said)
    Idealy a 4x4 tractor with a loader is in our future ( I'm an opperator more than a mechanic)
    Know I'm running this case and snow plow hopefully successfully for winter 2008/09.
    New to tractors of any year this old girl seems like a real beauty .
    Now I changed the oil and I think I need to remove the oil pan to clean out sludge hopefully before winter.
    The loader frame was originally yellow then painted green and the cylinders are single action and old, I replaced the seales and stoped the leaks from the cylinders.
    I noticed the oil kinda black (Hydralic oil). so I guess I should change the Hydralic oil.
    Is this the oil that is in the case-o matic part of things? Yes I'm that green.:alien:
    Do I change the torque tube oil? is that where the hydralic oil is.
    Is there any links that could help me learn what I have? :truth:

2. synway

synway New Member

May 27, 2008
    would I use a TDH fluid? or a straight hydraulic fluid?

3. caseman-d

caseman-d Lifetime Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Hydraulics, transmission, and torque convertor shouls have seperate reserviors. You should use type A or Dextron automatic oil in case-matic. You can use TDH if you wish, it should be a good grade of hydraulic oil. If you wish and want to just keep one oil I would go with either Hytran or dextron automatic oil.

Case o matic is suppose to work just like a automatic trany in a car. Oil should be very clean, filter cleaned, and at correct level. Very good trany if taken good care of.
    caseman-d

4. synway

synway New Member

May 27, 2008
    Thanks caseman-d.
    So the Torque tube is a reservoir of oil and it also houses the torque converter and range housing and each of those components have each their own oils?
    To lift the blade on the front I am using one of the levers on the right side of the seat, when the cylinder on the loader arms was leaking I filled the reservoir at the range lever through the breather vent.There is a dip stick there and should be checked warm and at low Idle.... Then there is the motor oil and dip stick for that.
    Is there another place for oil ? Am I clear as mud in what I am asking?
    Where does the oil that lifts the loader with the hydraulic cylinder come from when you don't have an external hydralic pump? go slow turtle

5. caseman-d

caseman-d Lifetime Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Thought I had answered your questions last time I was visiting the site. Thinking about it I was having problems with internet service. You have already figured thing s out. Just in case, the hydraulic has own reservior, rear end and trany one, and the the torque convertor has it's own.
    caseman-d

6. Remick

Remick New Member

May 22, 2015
    Hello i am new at forum , have a case 530 CK and trying to figure out why case o matic drive is not working properly.

7. HarveyW

HarveyW Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Hello Remick,

Welcome aboard the tractor forum.

You need to get a service/repair manual for your tractor. There is an I&T shop manual (about 100 pages) on ebay for a Case 530....$42.

There is also a service manual for a Case 530C on CD for $12. This covers a lot more detail, but you have to print out what you want to have a hard copy.

Manuals will give you troubleshooting sections for each major category. Hopefully leading you to a solution to your problem.