rear end oil for A

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by formulamx91, May 6, 2009.

1. formulamx91

formulamx91 New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Where do I check the rear end oil in an A tractor and what type of oil should I use if I need to top it up

2. Live Oak

Live Oak New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    formulamx91, welcome to Tractor Forum. I just don't know the answer to this post. I have spent a good bit of time looking for the answer but the best I can come up with so far is the Farmall 140 which apparently has a fill to level plug on the upper left side of the transmission case. You might try looking for a similar fill plug on your A. Otherwise I think it would well worth a call to a local IH dealer who I am confident can provide this info.

While you are talking to the IH dealer, that would be a great time to ask about an operator's manual for this machine as well or you can order one at that link below.

http://www.ssbtractor.com/tractor_m...=International+Farmall&tractor_manual_model=A

3. Morgan

Morgan New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    As far as the Oil is concerned Im sure it was 90 weight oil as they didnt use Hydralic fluid way back in the day.

4. formulamx91

formulamx91 New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Thanks I figured these old tractors were pretty popular. I have to contact the IH daler any way now my problems have grown. I have a running issue now.

5. Morgan

Morgan New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Sorry to hear about your problem, stick around and join in. What makes a good board great is its people.

6. SCPOret

SCPOret New Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Farmall A

Are you looking to check oil on the Final Drive or on the rear end? different things different locations.

Final drives have a plug that you pull and oil should just run out of the plug - if you need to drain and refill each side takes 3 pints of Case Hytran.

Rear end/differential - holds 5 quarts of Hytran.