Int 574 Clutch

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by cameron, Jan 28, 2012.

1. cameron

cameron New Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Int 574 want stop when you push on the clutch, have to idle down and use brake.
    Cameron

2. cyrush

cyrush Registered User

Apr 20, 2010
    Sounds like clutch drag, could be clutch disc is not sliding free when clutch pedal is pushed down, could be rusted to splines, has tractor been idle for a time??, or could be dust build up in corners of flywheel, or a distorted disc, or badly adjusted, should have 1/5" free play @ top of pedal.

That should be 1.5" free play. !!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

3. cameron

cameron New Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Can I fix it without splitting the tractor, yes the tractor as been sitting before I bought it.

4. cyrush

cyrush Registered User

Apr 20, 2010
    Under the clutch bell housing is a plate, remove this and have a look up there with a light, you might see rusting on splines and be able to apply some lubricant to free it off.

other than that its a splitting job !!!

5. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    If you do split it, check the PTO input shaft for wear right away. Its the hollow splined tube that sticks out of the transmission and slides into the pressure plate. Ours was heavily worn, so I replaced it when I was rebuilding the engine the last time.