616 Rotary Cutter

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by Simpleprestige, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Simpleprestige

Simpleprestige New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Alright most of you guys already know that I have a 3520 and a 616 rotary cutter. If you didn't know that well....I have a JD3520 and a JD616 Rotary Cutter :D

Anyways, my tractor handles the rotary mower just fine, but I have come to the conclusion that the sparse weeds in our pasture are just not rotary cutter material and I need to get a finish mower.

My questions are:

How much is my mower worth? Not sure of age but runs like a champ and has brand new paint/decals and sharp blades

What should I be looking for in a Finish mower as far as size goes and what brand should I be looking at to get the best value for the money...I would prefer not to have any money out of pocket. I don't know if 84" is asking too much or not

I don't know anything about flail mowers, but would this be something that would work to knock down sparse weeds in a pasture without having the finish type look?

Thanks for any and all replies,
    Kevin

2. Live Oak

Live Oak New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    If you cleaned it all up and repainted it nice n pretty with new decals, you could probably get in the $1,000 price range if the sheetmetal is straight and it is not rusted out. Otherwise $500 give or take depending upon condition.

What is the condition of the gearbox, drive shaft, and wheel/bearings? What condition is the sheetmetal? Do you have the chain shields for it?

3. Simpleprestige

Apr 20, 2007
    It has chain shields, the sheet metal is in impeccable condition, everything is perfect

We payed $900 for it 2 years ago before we repainted it and fixed everything

4. Live Oak

Live Oak New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I think I would try advertising it for $1200 obo.

5. Simpleprestige

Apr 20, 2007
    thats the neighborhood i was thinking of. Do u think my tractor could handle 84" finish mower? I am checking the repo auctions for one. I might just hang onto the brush hog til spring when people are willing to buy

6. chrpmaster

chrpmaster New Member

May 5, 2004
    I have alway read that flail mowers leave a smooth cut like a finish mower but can handle heavier weeds and grass like a bush hog. So that would be a great answer to your needs. The problem is that they are more expensive than either a finish mower or a bush hog (almost double depending on brand etc). I don't know about your area but around me it is rare to find one for sale used.

If you want a cheaper way to get a good cut you could always look at a nice sickle bar mower. Mine cuts real close to the ground and leaves a smooth finish if I want it to but will also wack 6 foot weeds too. You could run a 9 ft sickle bar mower easily with your tractor with a higher ground speed and never have it strain. I see lots of nice used ones for around $500-750 in good condition. I'm not sure you will find a good 84" finish mower for under $1000.

Andy

7. Simpleprestige

Apr 20, 2007
  8. Simpleprestige

Apr 20, 2007
  9. Live Oak

Live Oak New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    No, I think that would make a real nice finish mower. Land Pride makes some good quality equipment if you can get past their nose bleed prices.

Depending upon the final bit price, a little touch up paint, oil change, and fix as needed repairs; you will have a real nice mower.

10. Simpleprestige

Apr 20, 2007
    So 31 PTO horsepower can handle an 8 1/2 foot finish mower???? Wow I am impressed. I'll watch it and do some more research and who knows, I might end up with a new mower.

Now that I think about it we used to have a 24 Engine hp Case tractor that handled our old 72" Land Pride Mower beautifully

11. Live Oak

Live Oak New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I believe 90 inch = 7.5 foot. My 4410 handles a 72 inch MMM with no problem.

In fact, one of my hunt lease client is using his 3520 to run a 6 foot rotary cutter to clear some heavy brush and sapplings that has grown up over about a 5 year period.

12. Simpleprestige

Apr 20, 2007
    Wow I am an idiot. Yes 90" is 7.5 feet.

He is going to be slow going with that 6ft cutter, Using the 616 I'm fine until I hit some really thick weeds when I have to slow down quite a bit. 5ft really would be better for any heavy uses

13. chrpmaster

chrpmaster New Member

May 5, 2004
    I'm surprised with the price of the flail mower. Unless the guy is lieing about the condition that is a steal for $250. You could make money just buying it, cleaning it up and painting it then reselling it for $1500 in the spring. Normally I have seen these priced around $4000-5000 for a new one from a good manufacturer. Do you live near it to stop by and check it out? It might be worth a trip.

Andy

14. Live Oak

Live Oak New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Andy, I think the opening bid is $25. I doubt seriously the price will stay there long once bidding starts.

15. chrpmaster

chrpmaster New Member

May 5, 2004
    Randy

You're right about the auction for the finish mower but the flail mower on Craigslist says the price is $250. Makes me wish I lived closer.:dazed:

Andy

16. Simpleprestige

Apr 20, 2007
    There is also 2 12ft flail mowers on the auctions that will be going on Thursday. If u want to dream the website is 1800lastbid.com but it is for west michigan