Featured Tractor of September - TecumsechBrigg's 96 Ranch King
Tractor Forum > General Tractor Forums > Operating & General Discussion > Mobility Big Dipper Loader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
BTS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Mobility Big Dipper Loader

I just got this loader the other day off of Craigslist, the guy said it ran but the carb needed cleaned, i got it started but it ran rough and wouldn't stay running. I got it home and cleaned the carb and it now runs great.
The little thing can pick up 2000lbs easy , it turns on a dime and goes over 15mph (kinda scary going that fast)
Has anyone ever used one of these? it's a blast to drive and it is very easy to get in and out of places. I am planing on inclosing the cap for this winter.
It does need more aggressive tires or chains, i also think front wheel weights would help too. I was really surprised on how well it drove on loose dirt, gravel, ect.
It does have a harder time going in wet grass because the front tires just spin due to lack of tread.

mobilityloader020.jpg   mobilityloader022.jpg   mobilityloader001.jpg   mobilityloader021.jpg   mobilityloader023.jpg  

mobilityloader024.jpg   mobilityloader002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Thomas
Supporting Member
TRKTR_SUPPORTER.png

Tractors

Liked 175 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Beefy beast ain't she,heck of a bucket also..gas or diesel? 3 or 4 clyd.?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
pogobill
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

Liked 462 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Never seen anything like it! Pretty cool. Is it front wheel drive, rear wheel steering? Looks that way. Have fun and be careful!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
BTS

It has a 4 cylinder Ford 172ci industrial gas engine. This is the same engine out of a Ford 800 series tractor.
It is front wheel drive, rear wheel steer, it's a lot like driving a forklift.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
jhngardner367
TRKTR_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Tractors

Liked 327 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 147

There was one like that at a construction site near here. They had AG treads,because of the mud/sand,and they had made a set of forks for the bucket. I was repairing one of their large compressors,and it was pretty cool to watch that thing work!

" I'm busier than a one-legged cat in a sandbox!"
Veteran,...and proud !

God gives only that which we can handle......."WHAT'S He drivin' that DUMPTRUCK for!!"

"I can't fix what ain't broke...you want I should break it?"

bluerock1 Likes This 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
BTS

It seems like you don't see these loaders to often, the local tractor salvage yard has 3 or 4 that they use to haul parts around.
I'm planing on getting AG tires for it, i am also thinking about putting on duals for better stability, It's a little tippy with the single tires on it.
I am planing on building a set of pallet forks that go in place of the bucket.
So far i love this loader, i can go anywhere and turn in circles in tight places.
The one thing i didn't like about this loader was the gas tank location.
It was under the hood an impossible to get gas into it and if any gas was dumped it went onto the exhaust manifold.
I ended up moving the gas tank under the seat, there was plenty of room because under the seat is a weight box that was full of sand. It was also full of water due to no drain hole, the box was rusting bad so i cleaned it out and made a new home for the gas tank.

tractorpartstiresandect042.jpg   tractorpartstiresandect043.jpg  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
jhngardner367

Tractors

You had better find something to use in place of the sand,because that was what was used as a counter weight for the bucket.
Without it,you'll do a nose-stand,with a load on it.

Veteran,...and proud !

God gives only that which we can handle......."WHAT'S He drivin' that DUMPTRUCK for!!"

People Like This 
Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #8
BelarusBulldog

Tractors

Liked 81 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Nice find you scored, BTS. Good idea adding duels to the front for stability. Smart move relocating the fuel tank too, but I have to agree with jhngardner, add more counter weight to replace the sand you removed. Can't wait to see pictures when you're finished all the modifications!

Plowing, it's snow much fun!

bluerock1 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
BTS

I was already planning on adding weight to the back, that's why it has the pipe sticking out the back. I have some Massey-Harris wheel weights that weigh around 300lbs each. I'm going to try and get them on there some how.
When i got this loader it had a small gas tank on the fender, it also looks like the paint on the hood is a little "burned" from the previous owner. I bet he caught it on fire and then put on the small tank.
I'm just now pricing tires, i have found some 5X15" AG tread tires, it's only going to cost $300 for four new tires. Right now i am working on inclosing the cap, i already have the windshield in and today i am going to put in the back window and start on a door.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Thomas
Supporting Member
TRKTR_SUPPORTER.png

Tractors

Liked 175 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Looking forward to more pics

Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
jhngardner367

Tractors

It sounds as if it's gonna be a li'l screamer ! POST PICS !!

Veteran,...and proud !

bluerock1 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
oaker
Tractors

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own one of these also. Mine is a 4x4 with a continental diesel. I have had if for about 12 yrs and have done numerous repairs. Just got done putting in new seals on the front wheel motors. Had a heck of a time finding the right ones but got it done. I also have a parts book. I got lucky because the company that used to build these was sold to a company close to where I live.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
BelarusBulldog

Tractors

Liked 81 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaker View Post
I own one of these also. Mine is a 4x4 with a continental diesel. I have had if for about 12 yrs and have done numerous repairs. Just got done putting in new seals on the front wheel motors. Had a heck of a time finding the right ones but got it done. I also have a parts book. I got lucky because the company that used to build these was sold to a company close to where I live.
Sure would be nice to see some pictures of your loader,oaker. BTW, welcome to the forum.

Plowing, it's snow much fun!

bluerock1 Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
BTS

I would love to see pictures of your 4X4 mobility

Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
D67chevelle

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have three of these machines. Two 2wd and a 4wd. A little history on them is they were originally made by Dimco. They called them the Big Dipper. They first were built in Alice, ND. Then moved to Fargo, ND. My 4wd was built in Fargo in 1968 and is a Dimco. The other two are Mobilitys built in 1974. I have lots of info on these machines. They came with front wheel weights but they are hard to find now. Most had a 300 and 600lb counter weight on the rear. One of my 2wheelers has another 400lb bolted to the steps by the seet. Any questions just ask and it will try to answer them

scan.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
BTS

WOW That is nice, i wish i had one 4 wheel drive like that.
If i give you the serial numbers off of my loader, could you get me the year?
I have always wondered what the years is but i could never find a site to compare numbers.
Thank you for all of your info.

I got some rear weights put on my old mobility, i put a full set of IH 2 Piece weights on it, the weights weigh around 150lbs for each half, so i have approximately 600lbs on the back. I am just now getting ready to order industrial tread tires for it, i am getting four and i am going to put duals on it.
I then need to put on a inline fuel pump, because the gas tank is about level with the carburetor so if i go up a hill it likes to run out of gas.

Here is a picture of the weights that i added

tractorparts008-3_zps7cacc865.jpg   tractorparts010-1_zpscacdb156.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
D67chevelle

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you send your serial number I can try to let you know on a year. There is hardly any info out there on these machines. The info that I have is for the earlier years. I can say that your Machine was built after 1972. My 2wd ones are 1972 models. They however do not have the sheet metal under and around the seat like that. I have seen a machine just like yours at a fertilizer plant in Nebraska.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
tinrat
Tinrat

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Mobility w/ Fork mast.

WoW!!! I just bought 2 of these machines. One ( a Big Dipper) with a fork truck mast and a parts machine (newer Dipper II) The parts machine is fairly complete but everything appears locked up on it. BUT!!, the older machine needed a lot...LOL. I drained the fuel tank (a homemade stainless one), scratched the points and changed out 2 sparkplugs and it runs like a top. Will try to post some pictures soon. It appears that the manufacture date may be part of the Mobility serial tag. I believe I have like a '74 and an '83. perhaps I have no clue but the tag has these #s spaced out and separated. I will post more details w/ pics soon. I've only had it 2 days and messed w/it first time last night.
Don

Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
tinrat
Tinrat

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Mobility Pair

Here are pics of my Mobilitys. The '76 (first 5 pictures) has the battery located behind R front tire fender. On the '81 (second 5 pictures), the R front tire fender is stainless and houses the fuel tank and the battery is located under the seat. I removed the pebbles from the '76's under seat "rock box" (was around 500# of wet gravel) The '81 has one brake line where the '76 has each drive tire on a separate brake. Both machines were used by the same company and I wonder if they were company "tweeked" to accommodate their own specific job. Anyone with any documentation would be greatly appreciated.

mobility-big-dipper-pic-.jpg   mobility-big-dipper-pic-b.jpg   mobility-big-dipper-pic-d.jpg   mobility-big-dipper-pic-c.jpg   mobility-big-dipper-pic-f.jpg  

mobility-dipper-ii-pic-.jpg   mobility-dipper-ii-pic-b-.jpg   mobility-dipper-ii-pic-d.jpg   mobility-dipper-ii-pic-c.jpg   mobility-dipper-ii-pic-h.jpg  

Old 09-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
trucker-2213

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi I have a mobility dipper 4x2 hydrostatic drive, but it won't drive ant idea what it could be or where I might start looking for a parts manual or repair manual? Thanks Bill

Quick Reply