Tractor of the Month - April- pbrezny

Help us build our Tractor Registry by Adding your Tractor!

Tractor Forum > Lawn Garden Tractors > John Deere > John Deere 316 Won't roll over

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
JDLawnGuy123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

John Deere 316 Won't roll over

Ok I live in MI and we are about to get 14" of snow and my old reliable JD 316 with snow thrower died out on me yesterday. It has been hard to start this winter but it has also been very cold this year, I was cranking it over yesterday and then something went wrong and the motor stopped spinning and instead of cranking it makes a bad spinning noise like some gears are stripped out or something.

Can anyone offer up some information to what is wrong?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
tractor beam
ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS
TRKTR_ADMIN.png

Tractors

Liked 322 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Welcome to the forum JD! I have a 316 my self and they are great machines. Sounds like the starter is not engaging the flywheel. I'd pull it and take a peek at the condition of the teeth on the starter and the flyweel itself to be sure there are no broken or worn teeth.

And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea
***** The best customer of American industry is a well paid worker **** Don't believe everything you think.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
GreenFlyer

Do you have plenty of pizza coupons? Because if you also have plenty of hungry friends, the chances are good you will be shoveling snow instead of playing in it with your 316. Battery? Starter? Starter teeth? Solenoid? Flywheel teeth? Cable/ground connections? When was the last time you cleaned/changed the air filter? How old is the spark plug? How many hours are on the engine? Do you perform regular oil changes and maintenance checks? Based on your descriptions, it sounds like the starter is bad, or the teeth on the starter and/or the flywheel are ground down. In any case, the starter and flywheel will have to be inspected. Hopefully it is just the starter.

John Deere 212/LT133/LT155/LX188/318/455/670/970/3020/4400 Combine/Bolens ST125/Case Maxxum/Farmall Super C, H, M/Allis Chalmers/Massey Ferguson 65/

Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
dangeroustoys56
Collector
TRKTR_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I agree with TB- sounds like the starter gear teeth finally stripped off - you can buy a whole new gear end assembly at NAPA autoparts store for under $15 - its easy to change with a bench vise- use a small drift punch to push the roll pin out carefully- i put a dab of never seize on the roll pin when i put it back together.

itll be easier to just totally remove the starter motor- its a common problem and are actually designed to do that.

Quick Reply