Tractor of the Month - April- pbrezny

Help us build our Tractor Registry by Adding your Tractor!

Tractor Forum > CUT & Big Tractor Manufacturer Forums > Ford / New Holland > Ford 4500: 1. Hydraulic Pkg Filter Change 2. PS Filter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
kkl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tractors

Ford 4500: 1. Hydraulic Pkg Filter Change 2. PS Filter

1. For the Ford 4500 with the hydraulic package, the owner's manual says to drain the hydraulic fluid prior to changing the filter. Is this really necessary? Will I lose that much fluid just pulling the filter out the top, or is there some other reason for this direction?

2. The manual has a section called "POWER STEERING RESERVOIR (EXCEPT FORD 4500)". However, there is no section for the 4500! Moreover, the picture appears to be exactly what I have. What am I missing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Hacke

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I have missed this post, perhaps you already got it sorted...
I have no experience from servicing a 4500, but I have a User's Manual for it.

1. You do not need to drain when changing that filter, however you need to lift it very slowly bit by bit so oil can run back. Otherwise you get a mess.
The system has got a suction filter as well, perhaps your manual direction to drain the system concerns that filter?
The suction filter is placed in the bottom of the tank, in the pump inlet. Picture of it from the manual last in this post.

2. It seems that 4500 had various PS-system setups. Some do not have a reservoir like yours, they use oil from the hydraulic system instead. Perhaps your manual was made during a period when there were only non-reservoir setups.

-------------

Old 07-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
kkl
Tractors

Where do you get those great diagrams? They are much better than the manual I have.

I did figure out after the fact that I could have just removed the filter without draining. However, I tried to "follow the book" and ended up making a mess. I opened the drain plug up under the cowling with my funnel in place. However, since I needed a long funnel neck to get the drainage out to a bucket, the oil overflowed the funnel because it didn't drain fast enough. So..., in my effort to avoid making a mess, I made a bigger mess.

You're also certainly right that the 4500s have a variety of hydraulic setups. The manual I bought doesn't show the setup that I have. I missed that extra screen filter. Also, the section in my manual that says "Power Steering Reservoir (Except Ford 4500)" also doesn't match, since it is what I have. It looks like there are at least two types of PS setups.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Hacke

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Where do you get those great diagrams? They are much better than the manual I have.
I happened to have a User's Manual for 4500, or rather it is a "Driver's Handbook". It is in Swedish and has undergone a bad translation from English. They had a really bad day, when text referes to a figure, the have mixed up the figure's id and the letters in the picture...
There is no mentioning of the power steering reservoir or filter change...
But that figure is OK.

Quote:
I did figure out after the fact that I could have just removed the filter without draining. However, I tried to "follow the book" and ended up making a mess. I opened the drain plug up under the cowling with my funnel in place. However, since I needed a long funnel neck to get the drainage out to a bucket, the oil overflowed the funnel because it didn't drain fast enough. So..., in my effort to avoid making a mess, I made a bigger mess.
In my book the tell the same, to drain at A. I don't know why you should not drain easier with a bucket under C, that is 3 in the diagram in this post (it is from Messick's). Maybe it is draining too slow through the suction filter.

Quick Reply