Tractor of the Month - April- pbrezny

Help us build our Tractor Registry by Adding your Tractor!

Tractor Forum > CUT & Big Tractor Manufacturer Forums > Ford / New Holland > 3 point hitch lift not working -67 Ford 3000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Harley1283
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tractors

3 point hitch lift not working -67 Ford 3000

I have a 1967 Ford 3000 Diesel Tractor - the 3 point hitch hydraulic lift does not work - I removed the lift cover and found that both suction and return line filter screens needed cleaning, the suction filter was really clogged with sludge. I visually inspected all accessable components and reassembled, installing new o-ring seals where indicated. The lift still doesn't work. I did a pump pressure test as prescribed by the manuel and pump pressure was above 2500 psi. Any ideas on what to check next??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Big_T

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

OK, you have cleaned the suction screen and return line filter. One note - the return line filter captures dirt internally. I think most people replace this filter, but did you clean it out internally? It also has a back-pressure valve attached to the end of it that should be checked for binding, excessive wear, or damage & replace o-rings.

Sounds like your pump is OK at 2500+ psi. Does the pressure drop when you raise the lift handle?

Do you have the lift in "position" control as opposed to "draft" control? I think the little lever should be in the "up" position. Won't work very well in the "draft" position.

Do you happen to have remote valves on your tractor? If so, is there a lift bypass valve on it? Lift won't work in bypass position.

From the troubleshooting section of my (Ford 3600) manual, here are some other things to check when lift is not working:
1) Flow control valve binding.
2) Check valve damaged or worn.
3) Draft control or position control damaged.
4) Unload valve or back pressure valve faulty.
5) Lift piston seals damaged.
6) Unload valve plug worn.
7) Lift cylinder, lift cover, or pressure transfer tube cracked.

Note that my manual is for a Ford 3600, so there may be some things that don't apply to your 3000.

Last edited by Big_T; 07-11-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
Harley1283
Tractors

Yes Sir, It turns out that my problem was a stuck unload valve. When I bought the tractor it was very low on fluid in the rear section and had been for quite a while I believe that over time the O-ring seal on the unload valve spool had dry rotted / adhered to the rubber seal on the unload valve bushing. After some time spent fabricating tools to pull the unload valve plug, I was able to drive the spool out, clean and inspect the valve internals and install a new o-ring. I reassembled everything and presto, it works good as new. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Quick Reply