Featured Tractor of December belongs to caseman-d
Tractor Forum > CUT & Big Tractor Manufacturer Forums > Mahindra / Lenar > Who else is dissatisfied with MAHINDRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Crystal Springs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Who else is dissatisfied with MAHINDRA

I have a 2006 6500 4wd.

Less than 200 hrs on it.

Tractor sucks!

Hydraulic leaks. 1 the dealer fixed. took 2 trips

Left brake pedal shaft rusted because no grease fitting exists, bad design.

Try and take the battery out of this thing...OMG the person that designed that should be forced to replace a battery on one of these.

Front bucket Cracked in corner 2x..dealer fixed the first time.

The grease fitting are many different sizes and many are missing!

General poor design of tractor, also paint started peeling week 4.

I am afraid of using the tractor because everytime I do it seems it needs to go to the shop and need repair. I basically work the tractor very lightly, moving dirt, holes digging, tilling.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am becuase while the tractor sits there and collects rust I must pay for something I cannot use and it has become a financial burden! If it worked as it should I could at least use it to make money to pay for it.

I am on a quest to find others like me that are willing to come together and contact MAHINDRA to get satisfaction.

I can't be the only one!

Join me if you have the same quality issues as I do.

Jonathan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
tractor beam
ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS
TRKTR_ADMIN.png

Tractors

Liked 374 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Johnathon, first of all, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you on board. Johnathon, did you buy this tractor new or used? Does the dealer willingly work with you to resolve your issues, and what sort of warrranty do they offer?

And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea
***** The best customer of American industry is a well paid worker **** Don't believe everything you think.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Crystal Springs

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank You

I bought the tractor new from a dealer about 100 miles away, he did work with me and made the repairs to one of the Hydraulic Leaks coming from the back of the tractor, where the rear Hydraulic lines go into a manifold. Now it has another leak up from in the engine compartment.

The dealer told me that the tractors come to the states in boxes and are assembled here, what was unnerving was the bolts just dropping out of the tractor and finding them in the pasture!

Finally I told the dealer to come get the tractor and go over it and tighten it up, which they did.

Right after that the front bucket cracked and had to be fixed..dealer fixed....then it cracked again on the other side.

Was out od warrantee at this point.

Just replaced the battery, after 4 years, OK I expect that..not a big ticket item or a shocker...UNTIL YOUR TRY AND TAKE IT OUT.

You see Mahindra decided to weld the nuts you would have to take out in order to remove the air filter holder, in order to get the battery out..or you'd have to take the headlights out, the front latch mechanism...crazy??? I mean who designed this tractor?? Not someone that uses one that I can tell you!

Now the new thing is the left brake pedal is frozen in the down position and the brake light is on. Under investigation I can see that the pedal is connected to a shaft that controls the brake for either back tire independently. The brake shaft goes though 2 sets of bushings that are attached to the bottom of the the tractor on the tranny. The problem is rust because they are no grease fittings where the shaft goes through the bushings...so eventually this will seize on you and you'll only have one tire braking..ANOTHER GLARING DESIGN FLAW.

Now I am one of thousands of people that purchased a Mahindra, could it be I am the only one having these kind of issues....

Warrantee is 2 yrs or 1200 hrs..which just happened to change to 3 years and 2000 hrs a month after I bought mine.

I do have a Mahindra Dealer right in town but they are terrible and I don't trust him as I have had terrible experiences with them in the past. So I ended up buying long distance and paid for it because I am responsible for transportation.

I used to run CASE Backhoes and CATS track Hoes, big cat loaders as well guess I was spoiled a bit growing up.

What I wanted a good tractor for a part time farmer that would be cheaper than having to rent one when I needed one.

What I got was a GIANT FIASCO that constantly breaks down due to design flaws built into the tractor...or I just got a lemon?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
tractor beam
TRKTR_ADMIN.png

Tractors

Doesn't sound good, that's for sure. I happen to own a 40 HP JD we bought new in 04. I've had pins that hold the bucket axis pivot rod, vibrate loose and fall out and the bucket level indicator fell off shortly after getting the tractor. The hood flexed so much after repeated opening and closing the hood, that the plastic cracked in short order, and the latch in the hood never did line up right for closing the hood. Needs to be guided in. Even the BIG BOYs have their problems! Nothing is really built well anymore. You had mentioned that the dealer had assembled the tractor from boxes of parts.....Perhaps they, singlehandedly were the folks who didn't tighten those bolts, and had welded the others you spoke of. Can those be cut and replaced, to facilitate easier battery access? Also, couldnt the brake mechanism be drilled and tapped for grease zirks?

***** The best customer of American industry is a well paid worker **** Don't believe everything you think.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
tractor beam
TRKTR_ADMIN.png

Tractors

Johnathon, I think the key here, is to wherever possible, make improvements to your likeining. The hood on my JD is a piece of crap, in general, as well as the stupid cotter pins they put in places, reminds me of a kids radio flyer wagon. I'm going to be building a hood guard, and replaced the cheesy cotter pins with grade 8 bolts. Problem with my bucket vibrating loose have been eleminated! Just hope I'm helping here. I hate running down brands, whether Chinese, Japanese American or other, even if they are pieces of crap! I love fixing the problem and improving the durability of the faulty devices. cruisin

Old 02-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
tlfrantz

My VST180D

I have an 18 horse VST-180D which I think is Mahindra and I will have to agree with you on the design for assembly issues. My tractor had 16 hours on it when a bearing race in the steering box failed, necessitating removal of the steering box.
I hate to admit publicly that I completely exhausted my repertoir of swear-words and was reduced to spitting out fragments of cuss words as I tried to navigate the design MAZE that is an Indian tractor. I ended up having to remove all the sheet metal around the steering column, the fuel tank, and the sheet metal surrounding the exhaust exit. Whoever designed the sheet metal obviously flunked their 'design for assembly 101' class and should be taken out and maimed.

The tractor now has a home-grown hydraulic power steering system that works pretty well except for some belt slippage that sounds like an old lady trying to park her '68 Buick Grand Boat.

There are other issues with the tractor, such as leaking fuel when the tank is full but that's not a problem as the spilled fuel is absorbed by your shoes and socks. The transmission's kinda difficult as well because I think its just a sliding gear design.
I can't complain much as I only paid $1500 for this thing.

If its tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Capt D

Mahindra problems

Perhaps I had a tractor that was assembled on Friday afternoon or the first one on Monday morning. But since I purchased the Mahindra 7010 several years ago, I have had a series of problems fro complete engine failure and the shaft to the 4-wheel drive breaking, to the handles falling off, to the head lights and horn never functioning properly. After an extended period of time, the Mahindra rep did mail me new handles, latches and a new assembly for the light and horn switches, but the agreement was that I had to replace/install them because Mahindra will refuse to do it. When the shft broke, I mailed it to the rep and we agreed that it was substandard material. He stated to "be patient" and he will get me reimbursed for the $840 it cost to have the unit repaired. At first, the rep said that the 4-wheel drive is NOT 4-wheel drive but 4-wheel assist and that it should only be used to get unstuck or for short periods of time. I looked in the manual which said otherwise. The shaft broke June of last year just after the 7010 went out of warranty by a month. The irony of that was that I was laid up from a tree almost killing me for most of 18 months. I was simply spreading gravel when the shaft broke.
The other problems I have had with the tractor were within the warranty period before I was immobilized. The thermostat has NEVER functioned since they replaced the engine at 311 hours. I was told that "It'd good that the tractor runs cool" by the head of dealer service.
The list is too extensive to review them all here, but I feel this provides a concept of Mahindra's customer response.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
chrpmaster

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Tractor Forum Capt D!

Sorry to hear of your problems with your tractor. I am curious though, are these tractors dramatically cheaper (price) than a comparable tractor from one of the 3 major brands?

Stupidity is exasperating. Willful ignorance is bulletproof.

Having government manage your health care is like having Michael Vick watch your dog.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting to see what they will have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Capt D

The price difference is rather large but not significant. I bought the Mahindra because I had been to India and the company reputation there is good.
Little did I know that I was to experience the problems that I have. And, I have treated the tractor well.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Dougster

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
rocking 416

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After reading this i am so glad i bought a kubota i had one problem with the 4 way valve on the bucket that was is an i am hard on my tractor oh and i need to replace the dust cover for the front axle drive shaft

Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
2ndhandlion
Tractors

I am also Glad I bought Kubota! I was close to buying a Mahindra...fffeeewww. Sorry for your headackes!

I am THE GRASSGOD. I am so overbloated with my ego and jealousy of others.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
Capt D

Chrpmaster, I like your quotes.
I want to inform all that I finally made contact with the right individual at Mahindra and they have taken my tractor to a dealer location and they are evaluating everyting and plan on correcting all the problems. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
dgf

i also had several engine problems with this tractor are you aware of others?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
tractor beam
TRKTR_ADMIN.png

Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgf View Post
i also had several engine problems with this tractor are you aware of others?
Welcome to the forum DGF! What problems have you had with your Mahindra?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
JGarner

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Having experienced business with Indian companies and businessmen in my career I would NEVER buy anything designed or built by Indians or in India. Their definition of quality and technology is vastly different than that of the US and certainly what the US used to be. Sorry you folks had such a bad experience. This is the reason I went antique tractor as my retirement project for restoration satifaction and personal use around my place.

JGarner

Kodawolf Likes This 
Old 10-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
sundug

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mahindra 6500 Review, Price, Information

Strengths Solid and is bullet proof. I have had nothing fail. An incredible value!!

Weaknesses Battery is a little hard to get to.

Overall Excellent quality. No problems after 2 years!!

Parts : 10 Performance : 10 Ease of Use : 10 Financing : Reliability : 10 Overall : 10

Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
tractor beam
TRKTR_ADMIN.png

Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarner View Post
Having experienced business with Indian companies and businessmen in my career I would NEVER buy anything designed or built by Indians or in India. Their definition of quality and technology is vastly different than that of the US and certainly what the US used to be. Sorry you folks had such a bad experience. This is the reason I went antique tractor as my retirement project for restoration satifaction and personal use around my place.
You've got to remember too, that the American builders have been in the game many many many years too, and certainly have built some poorly designed and poorly built tractors in years past, whereas India, has only been in the business for a short period of time, and hasn't had the money nor engineering of a solidly established company like John Deere. Give them some time and they could work all the kinks out of their machines.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #19
sundug

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a Mahindra 6500 4WD with loader, 400 hours on it, no problems, runs great, great deal for the money, love it. They are not the biggest selling tractors in the world for nothing! Doug

Old 01-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #20
sundug

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From other forums-
"Go Mahindra, you won't be disappointed because you can't be. I only have an 1815HST, which is only 18 Horse. The machine is an animal. You can't and won't stop it. I moved 600-800 pound rocks for a week straight. I have 112hrs on the machine since March. I bought it with 4hours. Really awesome machines."
"I have a 2010 2216 which is absolutley fantastic. I love it and just put a backhoe on it. I have 20 hours on it with no complaints. I probably should have gone one size bigger and gotten the 2516 but I really dont need it. The "bumper to bumper" warranty is 2 years and the drivetrain is 5 years. Can't sneeze at that. The small Mahindras are made by Mitsubishi in Japan and the loaders are made by KMW which makes loaders for all the brand tractors. Go with the Mahindra, you will love it. "
"I have a 2003 C-35 Mahindra and it does not have an easy life.
I love using it. No major problems but I wished they had a 20 year tractor battery. "
"ust a note on my '02 Mahindra 6000 4 WD.....no problems in the last 250hrs....yeah, I know, we seem to be listing Mahindras' that have "issues"...sorry, don't have any. How 'bout the rest of you Indian Mahindra owners that have no problems...time for little a different slant on these tractors. BobG in VA"
"'06 7520 with 510 hrs. No problems"
"517 hours on '06 6000 4wd. Only problems have been with coolant hoses going into oil filter. Replaced both of them for less than $10.Additionally, the hours have not been easy. Bushogging on very steep ground, baling hay, cleaning up ice storm debris, etc."
"'04 E350-DI no issues, and we have been very happy with the tractor during this last 5 years."
"The 6000 4x4 is still holding up fine. Over 900 hours on the pink tractor now.
Actually no issues with the 7010 lately. Rapidly aproaching 500 hours on it!
My opinion the Indian made Mahindras are the best!"
"My opinion the Indian made Mahindras are the best!
Without question."
"'07 6520 4WD approaching 500 hours. Drive pulley on hyd. pump cracked out last January while digging my pond running max rpms all day for days running the backhoe. All other "events" were operator error."
"1998 485DI with over 500 hours. I've replaced a hose and a fuel petcock. Probably $40.00 in parts. The 485DI is heavy and tough. Great Tractor!!"
"Just over 1000 hours on my 2004 6500. Nothing major to report. One item replaced under warranty. Lots of loader work but mostly used for haying."
"2007 3525 with FEL, 247 hours to date, no problems"
"Mahindra 6000.....
Right at 300 hrs on mind, had it 3 years now and just put a ML-265 FEL on it about 5 weeks ago, only problem i had was stabbing a root up into the hydraulic filter, seen it after it happen, backed up and shut it down, went ahead and changed the oil and filter and cleaned the suction strainer and magnetic plug. Other than that its been a good working tractor.
Oh had it stuck 3 times so far, I think it had something to do with the loose nut behind the wheel."
"Hello Everyone,
I purchased my first Mahindra new in 1999. It was a 4505DI 2WD. I kept that tractor for eight years and the only problem I had was a cracked fuel line. A $14.00 part. I was so impressed with the quality and reliability, I traded it in on a new Mahindra 4530 4WD. It's a 42hp machine that is built in India. It's a heavy beast weighing in at 7400 lbs. with the FEL. I've had this new tractor for almost five months and I'm completely satisfied with it. No plastic fenders and it kind of pushes the woods around instead of the woods pushing it around "
"http://www.tractorbynet.com/reviews/Mahindra/6500_4/325.htm

Mahindra 6500 Review
Overall Rating:

Build Quality:

Features:

Performance:

Value:

Reliability:

5 "
That's the highest rating possible!

BTW, the guy I bought my 6500 from had 3 of them, he loves them! Used them for years, has a buddy that contracts to the state for mowing the interstate right of way, says they stand up better than any other brand he has used! I have used mine hard, got it stuck bad twice, abused it some, and it just keeps on going! Heavy duty, great tractor, good price! Sundug

Last edited by sundug; 01-02-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply