Featured Tractor of November - TANK
Tractor Forum > General Tractor Forums > Repair & Technical Discussion > PTO Wood Chippers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Wingnut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

PTO Wood Chippers

This is my research on PTO driven Wood Chippers.

File Type: pdf pto chippers.pdf (5.8 KB, 2948 views)

Don't speak unless you can improve the silence!
It's been 5 years now and I am still waiting for my Y2K disaters!
Celebrating 27 years of a Drug-Free Elvis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Nice work Wingnut! All the points of consideration in a nice neat package at your finger tips. I am sure that will be great asset for anyone considering purchasing a chipper.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
bontai Joe
Lifetime Supporting Member
TRKTR_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Great list of data! So which one fits your needs? And what tractor are you gonna hook it up to?

Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
Wingnut

I am going to hook it up to my Mahindra C35.

In ways they're over-kill for my needs, but being a Texan "Excess is never enough!" I have a lot of vegation, cedar trees, and dead standing and fallen oak trees (oak wilt killed them) I need to cut up and clean up, I am on 14 acres with 348 cedar trees that needs to remove and 111 dead oaks.

Why remove the live cedar trees? The red cedar was introduced by U.S. Ag Dept. in the 1930's to prevent the Dust Bowl from incroaching into Central Texas. I don't know if it worked, but the trees grow like weed here.

One 20 year old cedar tree uses 14 gallons of water a day!
I have 348 cedars that are older than 20 years. These cedar trees taking over 4872 gallons of water a day or over 1,778,280 gallons of water a year. I think the cedars are also killing the oaks by taking the water away.

I will harvest cedar post from the trees and a lot of mulch. The native trees and grasses should look a lot healther when I am done.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
Neil_nassau

One company on your list has been in the chipper business through thick and thin.

Take a long look at the basic Crary-Bearcat. Its also available through Woods. Its actually the largest selling Chipper in this category. Rugged,simple to maintain and works as hard as you do.

Cub-Cadet,Snapper,Toro,Stihl and Woods serving N Florida/So Georgia

Old 01-30-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
Wingnut

Updated PTO Wood chippers list

I am leaning towards purchasing the BearCat 70554.
I don't plan to shred anything thicker than 4"
It has optional Top 360 discharge blower and 20' vacuum hose.

File Type: pdf pto chippers.pdf (6.2 KB, 692 views)

Old 01-30-2005, 09:32 PM   #7
Michael
Lifetime Supporting Member
TRKTR_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Tractors

Really good info in the attachment, Thanks for doing it, I think this should be a sticky as it is loaded with the good info.

Yesterday

JD L120, Traded in March 2011
Zen-Noh ZL1801 Sold in July 2010
Woods RCC42 Brush Cutter, Sold with Kubota

Today

JD 2305 With 62" MMM, FEL and Backhoe Bought March 2009

JD X320 with 48" Deck and Powerflow Bagger Bought March 2011

I'm here where are you?

Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
killed300ex

not sure on the model bear cat but my boss has one. It takes up to a 4" log. I wouldnt buy one unless it has a hyd. feed the manual feeds get old if you are using for a day of chipping. Wear you out when you are shoving the trees in to chip at the end of the day.
Evan

Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
Eddinberry

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wingnut,

I just found this. Thanks!!!!

I'm still entertaining the idea of chipping up all of the dadgum Sassafrass that pops up around here annually and selling it to the wood smoke crowd.

This saved me a bunch of farting around and eyeballing.

It's appreciated!!

Eddinberry

Whaddya mean nothing grows in the sand???

Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
jd3020
jd3020

chippers

what do yo guys think of the liberty chipper 6" model??

Old 03-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
chrpmaster

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

First of all welcome to the Tractor Forum

Second I don't know about that model but you may not get alot of responses since this thread was started several years ago. Keep us updated on your chipper. I'm sure others would like to know your experiences with it.

Andy

Stupidity is exasperating. Willful ignorance is bulletproof.

Having government manage your health care is like having Michael Vick watch your dog.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting to see what they will have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
jd3020
jd3020

chipper

I haven't bought it yet was hoping for some input ; couldnt find any up to date sites on this subject thanks

Old 03-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Let me add my welcome to Tractor Forum as well jd3020! Have you considered and different option? Unless you have a full time use for a chipper, that is a lot of money sitting around deteriorating.

One of our very own Tractor Forum members has a service that accomplishes not only the chipping but the area clean up as well using a forestry mulcher.

http://TRLandworks.wordpress.com

(yes, a shameless plug for QuikDraw )

Check out his website and see if this type of operation would work for you. A one time cost of clean up and rental vs. the cost of a chipper and you may find forestry mulching may be a more economical way to go.

What exactly are you wanting to do with the chipper?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
QwikDraw

Hey a plug before my first post...that's a moderator on the ball!

Before I purchase the Fecon mulch attachment for my skid steer I was looking at the Valby hydraulically driven chipper. I thought it might be handy for some hard to get in to jobs. I still might make that purchase if the need arises but I figured a better option is a tow behind chipper which I could pull with the skid steer.
I came to the site because I have been looking at a big tractor to use with a mulch head and pull a bat wing mower for some right of way work I have coming up… maybe a New Holland TV145 or...

2006 ASV RC100 - Fecon Bullhog - Ammbusher DL66 - Bradco 72" Brush Cutter - Forks - Bucket
2005 Mustang 6003 - Brush Hound 30HD - 24" Bucket
2008 New Holland - Bush Hog 2715L
2005 Daewoo Solar 175LCV - Denis CIMAF 125D mulch head

Old 03-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by QwikDraw
I came to the site because I have been looking at a big tractor to use with a mulch head and pull a bat wing mower for some right of way work I have coming up… maybe a New Holland TV145 or...
This sounds like an excellent topic for a new thread in the Big Tractor Section. What features are you specifically wanting in thes new tractor?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
rxwecl28

rxwecl28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3020 View Post
I haven't bought it yet was hoping for some input ; couldnt find any up to date sites on this subject thanks
on another tractor forum, some say they have very poor support and named many problems. I was thinking of ordering a liberity because of price and size. but now will not even consider at half the price.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
jd3020
jd3020

I bought a Liberty and haven't been impressed; if your chipping branches with leaves it will plug up,I have an 8" model; also the infeed leaves a lot to be desired, mine came in looking like it was dragged here they did send me an extra box of hardware for what was missing but all the scrapes were mine, also it took several months for it to get here

Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
zbullr
Tractors

PTO Chippers

This is a great reference for chippers.. One Brand that I am considering is Wallenstein BX42 or BX62. I have all the specs on it, but would like to hear from anyone that has experience with either of these models. They are manufactured in Canada(Quebec) and most of the info I have been able to find on them is very positive. Any info would be appreciated...

Old 03-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #19
jrh1967gto
Tractors

Wallenstein BX62

Glad you brought this thread up, I have been meaning to post about my new BX62. And I also found the comparison of the PTO chippers helpful.

Several reasons for me to purchase the BX62, one being that it was rated to handle the tractor HP, I have it hooked up to my small tractor rated at 85 pto HP. Second was the build quality and all the positive reviews from users. I needed something that was close to being commercial use and reasonable cost. I also checked on renting a 6" chipper, and the rental cost was $220/day. We have around 60 to 80 acres on this place needing to be cleared, lot of work but keeps me out of trouble. With owning a chipper I'm not out there killing myself trying to get my moneys worth from the rental and return it on time.

I'll start with delivery of the chipper, delivered on a pallet wrapped in plastic, the feed and delivery chutes were secured with brackets made out of 10 gauge steel. Set up took two of us about an hour, greased the rotor bearings with about 5 or 6 squirts just to feel comfortable, and greased the PTO u-joints and checked the blade clearances as well.

I have used the chipper for around 15 hours and it is chipping great with NO problems. I'm chipping probably the second hardest wood known to man, seasoned mesquite! Checked the rotor blades yesterday and they look as good as new, just have worn the powder coat off.

One other thing, the self feeding is very good, I slide a limb down the chute and look out, it sucks the limb in without further pushing on my part, all size limbs go through equally fast.

It's up to each of us to decide which piece of equipment will suit our needs best, and for me this chipper has been a real winner. Good luck with your purchase.
Jim

Old 03-18-2011, 03:53 AM   #20
Nubeginnings

Some sound chipper advice needed, the tractor that I am considering buying is 22Hp CK 22 Kioti and I want a chipper that I can use with that tractor.

The chippers usage will be for, producing wood chips that I can use to run my heating system. I have a large auto feed wood boiler that runs on pellets or wood chips.

My plan is to produce my own chips, I have 15 Acres of mature forest that will get me started plenty of fallen and dead trees, and I have another 8 acres of scrub. My three year plan is to plant and grow Willow on the scrub land then chip that.

So I need a chipper that will stand up to a good amount of work is auto fed, I want to be able to feed it with 3ft lengths of oak & Chestnut to start.
Any thought would be greatly appreciated.
By the way I am in France !

Quick Reply