Featured Tractor of November - TANK
Tractor Forum > CUT & Big Tractor Manufacturer Forums > Chinese / Grey Market Tractors > Nortrac tractors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
laquall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Nortrac tractors?

Does anyone know anything about Nortrac tractors?
They are sold by Northern tool and equipment co.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2004, 10:43 PM   #2
DGT6000_OWNER

They are a good tractor made by a company in China. The brand is called Jinma and they are sold in the US under different names. Homier also sells them as Farm Pro for instance.

People that are partial to Blue/Green and Yellow tractors will tell you that the Chinese tractors are junk and that nobody works on them, parts are not available, blah, blah, blah and so on. Don't believe it.

For the money you pay, provided you are mechanically inclined and can do your own maintenance, they would be a good tractor. You will probably get additional opinions, both pro and con, which I believe you are looking for.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
Durwood
Lifetime Supporting Member
TRKTR_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As DGT6000 said ,they are a good tractor provided you can do a little mechanical work yourself. I would look to get the 3 cylinder motor over the 2 cylinder. I would also do a little research on the chinese tractors because you might get a better deal elsewhere on a jinma or a Kama tractor. Where are you located? I can probably give you some leads where to look if i know your location.

I'm so far behind i thought i was first !

Old 09-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Welcome to Tractor Forum laquall! The tractor you mentioned by Northern Tool are Jinma's as has already been mentioned. For the money they are not bad little machines PROVIDED you are willing and capable of performing your own warranty work. Northern Tool will provide you with the parts but you will have to install them or pay someone to do it. If you have expectations of reliability similar to the big 3 American brand tractor manufacturers; you will be very disappointed. Even the Deeres and Kubotas break too. But at less than half the price; if you have the ability and willingness to work on them; the Farm Pro's may be for you.

What were your intended uses for the tractor?

Old 09-17-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
HarryG

Welcome Laquall,

As several have stated Northern sells the Nortrac, which is a Jinma. Farm Pro is also a Jinma as well as dozens of other names I just can't remember. Emerbuilt, Iron Horse, etc just to name a few but so many more.
I was initilly looking at a big 3 but my pocketbook(wife) would not let me. Checked out used units but they were also way out of range. It took me about 8 months of research with much apprehension whether to buy a China tractor. Did my internet stuff, read all I could, researched greys etc. Still had apprehension. Spoke to a couple of guys that owned these China tractors and they said come and try mine out, which I did. Now the fit/finish is described as crude and that I agree with totally but what impresed me with most was the simplicity and power. When trying one guys out I was trying to work it but not hurt it, he told me "don't baby it" they are workhorses. Nonetheless I did as he said and was impressed with the performance.........Well I did some more research on prices and bought a 224 Jinma crate unit last Sept 03 which I assembled myself. These are old tech pieces of equipment. No special tools needed but do require a squeek/tweek now and then especially in the first 25 hours or so(I guess thats when you get the bugs out), so some mechanical appitude is advised. I only had a hydraulic fitting seeping(easy fix) but some others had more severe problems like injection pump timing set wrong, a bad clutch or two. Maybe I'm just lucky but mine purrs like a kitten and has the power of a mean Grizzly bear. End result, in my opinion this was the BEST investment I ever made.
Regards, HarryG
PS A buch of us guys up in NY had a China tractors tech conference last July, I have a post with pics on it.

God Bless our Troops

Last edited by HarryG; 09-17-2004 at 09:27 PM.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:31 AM   #6
Ingersoll444

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Re: Welcome Laquall,

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryG
PS A buch of us guys up in NY had a China tractors tech conference last July, I have a post with pics on it.

I missed that post. Where did you get yours from? Also where do you get your parts? I have conciderd one for years, becouse I can do all my work, and realy the only "big 3" I could ever afford is an old used up one, so haw bad could a new cheaper one be then that?

How long to assamble it? anything specail to do it? Was it a huge cost savings to assamble it your self?

Sorry about all the Q's.

Ingersoll224
Ingersoll444
Ford 8N
2 old Gravely L's

Old 09-18-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Re: Re: Welcome Laquall,

Quote:
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
I missed that post. Where did you get yours from? Also where do you get your parts? I have conciderd one for years, becouse I can do all my work, and realy the only "big 3" I could ever afford is an old used up one, so haw bad could a new cheaper one be then that?

How long to assamble it? anything specail to do it? Was it a huge cost savings to assamble it your self?

Sorry about all the Q's.
Paul, here is a great website that covers the Jinma 224 from the day of delivery to full assembly. Just click on the pictures for details.

Jinma 224 4WD Tractor

It also covers some accessories and attachments.

Old 09-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
HarryG

Hi Ingersoll 444

Hi there Ingersoll444,
looks like we are both from Columbia County, NY. I'm down in Copake. Small world. LOL...........I too do my own work thats why I went that route plus I saved a few bucks. Mechanic by trade for too many years.
They say it takes about a day to put one together but took me about 20 hours(I'm REAL fussy). I really enjoyed putting my 224 together. Just my choice but not for everyone. I'm happy with my purchase.
Parts????? there are dozens of dealers that can supply parts, several have web pages with parts sites and you just click on what you want and presto its shipped. Many parts such as filters, belts, hoses are interchanged to USA parts and available at any parts store..
I got mine from Coastal Tractor over in Conn. Glenn is his name and treated me RIGHT! Right enough that I spent almost 4K worth of additional $$ with him since my purchase for implements, etc.
So if you want further info on parts places dealers or pics(have dozens from delivery to up to date) just send me an e mail. Would be glad to help you with pros/cons. . Check out my post about the China Tech conference, had pics of what we did.
Best Regards, HarryG e mail Harrygoodwrench@hotmail.com

PS if you would like to check one out give me a shout and come down and try mine out and make decision for yourself.

Last edited by HarryG; 09-18-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Old 09-19-2004, 05:46 AM   #9
Ingersoll444

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

how far away from us is Costal tractor? does he have tractors on the lot? Probably not going to be something I get this year, but maybe soon.

I guess parts is not a huge issue with me, This would be just for my home use, so if it had to sit a week waiting, it would not be a big deal. Heck it would wait another week or two just waiting for me to get to it.

Thanks for the offer of a test. We will see how the shopping goes, then I will bug you.

Ingersoll224
Ingersoll444
Ford 8N
2 old Gravely L's

Old 09-19-2004, 05:48 AM   #10
Ingersoll444

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Welcome Laquall,

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief
Paul, here is a great website that covers the Jinma 224 from the day of delivery to full assembly. Just click on the pictures for details.

Jinma 224 4WD Tractor

It also covers some accessories and attachments.
Thanks Chief, I think I have seen that one before. Seems real doable to do it yourself, and save some coin.

Ingersoll224
Ingersoll444
Ford 8N
2 old Gravely L's

Old 09-19-2004, 10:02 AM   #11
HarryG

Ingersoll,
Coastal Tractor is in N. Branford, Ct. Its about 80 something miles form my house in Copake. But you are in Niverville so it may be a bit longer, but then again you are closer to I-90 so it may be quicker as I would have to go all the back roads. Anyways, my 224 crate was delivered by Glenn to my door, so I never went there. Yes, he tractors on lot. Parts if needed usually take a couple of days due to shipping. Not too bad but does put unit down if its a part that is critical.
Heres is Coastal's link. There are other dealers like Bolton Power Equipment in Mass who is a reputable dealer also. But I did mine with Coastal and was very satisfied so I am passing on my opine.
Regards, Harry G
http://www.tractorloft.com/default.htm

God Bless our Troops

Old 09-19-2004, 10:41 AM   #12
Durwood

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hopefully this will work. Here is a jinma that was up for sale on E-bay and DIDN'T sell for even $4,900.00. Just read what came with it and it was a steal. I have included a picture of it. The guy had a blue one and a green one for sale. He is in florida. The new Jinmas seem to have taken a leap in quality the last year or so. Also Chip at Artrac has pretty much this same tractor with the shuttle shift ,but WITH a FEL and a Backhoe for under $10,000.00 His is listed on E-bay now.

The guys tractors from florida.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3838880904&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Here is Chips on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56977&item=3839912203&rd=1

0d_12.jpg  

I'm so far behind i thought i was first !

Last edited by Durwood; 09-19-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #13
laquall

Thanks for the info!!!!

Thanks to all who responded with information on the "Nortrac tractors" Laquall

Old 09-22-2004, 06:10 PM   #14
Neil_nassau

I know its hard to avoid anything Chinese these days.........but do you really want to give money to a Communist country that could do to us economically what they couldn't do militarily?.
Its getting hard too since bearings and other low tech items are coming from there like mad.

Cub-Cadet,Snapper,Toro,Stihl and Woods serving N Florida/So Georgia

Old 12-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #15
catmando

I'm With You Neil!

I personally did a lot of soul searching. The price of the Chinese tractors can't be beat! But I put my money where my mouth is and purchased something different.

I know that they have to be good tractors if they want to get into this market. And look at who they are competing with.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:23 PM   #16
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Folks, I think that last 2 posters should reconsider their thoughts on this as just about ALL of the compact tractors are made overseas. My John Deere 4410 has a Japanese Yanmar engine and most of the parts are Japanese but the unit is assembled in Georgia. The Deere 790 and 990 are exclusively built in Japan by Yanmar. My Dodge Cummins pickup was manufactured in Mexico. (I am a VERY unhappy camper about that!) For that matter, you best start checking the label on most things you buy, especially at Walmart as they are most likely made or made with components made in China.

I respect your choices of products and feelings about China but I think they need to be expressed in the political or off topic sections.

This section was established exclusively for folks who own or want to learn more about Chinese manufactured tractors. This section is here to stay and product bashing does nothing productive or positive to contribute to this section.

Let's do our best to stay on track with this and respect their choices as well.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
wulfman

Tractors

customer service

only problem with buying one is the customer service. i broke an axle and it took months for them to get me the part. and lots of unreturned phone calls from them.
wrong parts ect...

Quick Reply