Tractor of the Month - April- pbrezny

Help us build our Tractor Registry by Adding your Tractor!

Tractor Forum > Lawn Garden Tractors > MTD > Mtd Mowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
lawnman tx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Mtd Mowers

Everyone says bad things about the MTD mowers. MTD has taken over many of the old name of mowers, GT and LT. You know that alot of the mowers from the past are gone. MTD does have many good machines that will last if taken care of. There are something that are better now and some are worst than it was in the past. The old cubs had their on problems,like rebuilding the trannys and the belts came of the mowers many times. There is one thing that MTD does have over many of the other company's,you can find parts. You do not have to sell your house to repair them. I like MTD equipment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #2
jodyand
EX Super Mod
TRKTR_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

lawnman i like MTD's to i have one. Two of my neighbors have MTD Yard Machines that they have had about 5 years and they look and run just as good as when they bought them.

Jody:usaflag:

Dodge
you drive the Rest I drive the Best.:driving: :tractorsm
1525 Cub Cadet
Snapper Comet

Old 12-21-2004, 03:58 AM   #3
Ingersoll444
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I think a lot of the bad rap is becouse most of there stuff is low cost. In todays world, low cost= throw away. I think most people dont take care of or maintane the stuff so it breaks down. Then all you hear is "What a peice of SH&))"

Ingersoll224
Ingersoll444
Ford 8N
2 old Gravely L's

Old 12-21-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
MowHoward2210

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agreed, for a homeowner with say 2 acres or less of smooth lawn, they should get their money's worth with proper maintenance and use of the machine.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:38 AM   #5
bontai Joe

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My only real complaint with MTD is their use of the name Bolens and Troy-Bilt on tractors. It's just my opinion, but the average, uneducated suburban homeowner probably thinks he is getting more than he is, when he sees those names. Bolens tractors were awesome machines back-in-the-day, and Troy-Bilt's rep was built on tillers that were almost indistructable, But now they are marketing tractors (and I realize they are inexpensive compared to more substantial machines) with those names and cashing in on a reputation that these machines don't really deserve. I also realize that MTD owns those names and can do what ever they want, but I would have thought that they would be better off introducing higher quality machines to compete head to head with Deere, Ingersoll, Simplicity, Wheelhorse, etc. They already had the Yardman and Yard Machine labels for the lower price point machines. They should have established the White name as just below Cub, and made the Bilens machines equal to Cub with an independant design. In my opinion, the Troy-Bilt name belongs on tillers, not tractors, but all of this is just the ranting of a guy that doesn't have any experience in marketing, so it is an opinion probably worth less than 2 cents.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
johndeere

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think what makes MTD look bad is the way there displayed.It seems to me atleast around here.Every place that sells MTD Walmart, TSC,etc.There all a like they have them setting out side chained together.They look terrible weathered and this sticks in your thoughts of MTD.

So many now knock Cub Cadet and see them as just an MTD and feel there not built like the old IH Cubs.Most also relate the MTD to Cub as a new thing.They do not realise this change took place in the early 80's.

If MTD had a better dealer base.That displayed there tractors on a show room floor.Rather then out in front of a store front rusting and fading the image would be better.Sears Craftsman does very well in sales and reputation and are displayed bright and shiny in a store that offers some what knowlegable sales people.This made AYP a name for there self.

If you reversed it for a moment and had the AYP sitting out in front of Walmart rotting away.Then put the MTD line on the Sears floor and only changed the decals.Suddenly MTD would be great and AYP would be a pile of junk.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:22 AM   #7
bontai Joe

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by johndeere
I think what makes MTD look bad is the way there displayed.It seems to me atleast around here.Every place that sells MTD Walmart, TSC,etc.There all a like they have them setting out side chained together.They look terrible weathered and this sticks in your thoughts of MTD.....

If MTD had a better dealer base.That displayed there tractors on a show room floor.Rather then out in front of a store front rusting and fading the image would be better.Sears Craftsman does very well in sales and reputation and are displayed bright and shiny in a store that offers some what knowlegable sales people.This made AYP a name for there self.
Boy John Deere,
I think you naled it! After reading your post, you have described exactly how I see MTD equipment. And the few box stores that do display inside have machines that look like they were put together by 11 year old kids as fast as they could. Real shabby looking! Yep, I think you are 100 % right.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #8
jlacasse
jlacasse

Tractors

I agree with most of those opinions about MTD if the tractors are used for light working as mowing or haul a small trailer, but don't ask them too much.

Tractor built until the 70's, including the MTD's at this time, was built to last. As mentioned by bontai Joe, many deceased manufacturers has taken bad marketing decisions about what peoples want to buy. Garden Way made a mistake while replacing the Bolens name by Troy-Bilt on their tractor. Even in my area, Bolens had very good reputation since many years and Troy-Bilt was an unknown brand name. MTD on the other side don't tried to reach the top of line, but followed the market.

I have 3 Bolens from the 60's and a White from the 80's (futur project). I love my Bolens mostly because the are sturdy, the design is strait forward and nice to use.

I also believe they create confusion when they used brand names that has venerable reputation on low end tractor. I know however many peoples want buy cheap then throw away after 10 years.

Jacques

Old 01-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
Neil_nassau

Thought I'd throw a few things in here.....

Gardenway was letting Lowe's license the Troybilt name on an MTD manufactured for several years BEFORE mTD purchased the assets from the Bankruptcy court. So its was GW not MTD that started that scenario.

No doubt,MTD put the Bolens name on what is basically the Yard Machine product. i must submit MTD is not the only one that puts a name on an opening price point product. Its a shame but the market is being driven by Deck size,Engine size and Price. That Gentleman is how the average person buys a mower..........not a gearhead. But........guess who's buying most of the mowers?

We finally liquidated the last of our Whites way below cost.........and we'll no longer carry ANYTHING less than $1599.00. It just takes too long to educate and teach the buyer of a price point machine on the sales floor. They just have no clue how to use,maintain or care for a riding mower.

On the other hand........the customer that has had a tractor or two of department store mowers has been around the tree a few times and is more interested in value.........and CUB has always filled that for us.

Merger and acquisition is whats happening....and someone made the point.before MTD got Troybilt tillers and tooling.......parts were a B!+cH to get. It took mtd's tech department alot of hard hours to get their arms around that challenge and make sense of the train wreck Gardenway had become. Troybilt tiller owners are way better off today.

Cub-Cadet,Snapper,Toro,Stihl and Woods serving N Florida/So Georgia

Old 01-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #10
Ingersoll444

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

See for me, the Troybuilt name was much bigger then Bolens in my part. Being that I live about 20min from the old Troybuilt factury, and work in that town, that name is pretty well known. I met they sold a LOT of those troybuilt mowers around here.[well except to there old employees]

Ingersoll224
Ingersoll444
Ford 8N
2 old Gravely L's

Old 02-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
lb59

MTD lawn tractor the worst mower I ever owned.
NEVER HAS RUN RUGHT And the steering locks with one wheel at a 90 degree angle and slides sideways.

lb. 59

Old 02-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #12
olds

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I saw a MTD for sale (self-propelled walk type) at SAMS. It was expensive....like 399+ for a standard 6HP....decent looking wheels and setup...but kinda high for early season intro...for a basic walk-behind mower.....didnt want it....just didn't like the quality I saw from it....but MTD seems to have been in bed with most of the brands at one time or another....so go figure!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #13
travcojim

whites belt question

I thought this would be a good place to post this question. I have an older whites lawn tractor, 1995, it says on the labels 10HP 34In, i have the numbers from the plate under the seat and those don;t match up at MTD when I called them, I am looking for a Belt for the mower deck, the old one let go yesterday and this one has no markings, I measured close to 64 inches, but need to be sure, anyone have any good guesses? I will throw in the number off the plate just in case someone has something on this one. J36-692-026 and 1295C
Thanks in advance

Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Welcome to Tractor Forum Jim! My suggestion on finding a replacement belt would be to see if you can size a replacement belt at a local auto parts or hardware store from the broken belt if you still have it. Another great source of belts, blades, and other mower items is Agri-Supply. They carry a huge range of belts, parts, and other items for various mowers.

Agri-Supply

Give them a call and see if they can help you match a belt if you can't find one locally. They have some really good prices on a lot of other items as well.

Here is their listing of MTD belts.

MTD Belt Listing

Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
Fordfarm
Supporting Member
TRKTR_SUPPORTER.png

Tractors

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by lb59
MTD lawn tractor the worst mower I ever owned.
NEVER HAS RUN RUGHT And the steering locks with one wheel at a 90 degree angle and slides sideways.

The BEST lawn mower I've ever had was an MTD! It was a 1988 model with an 18HP B&S. I bought in used in 1994 and ran it for over 10 years! I'd still be running it today, had I not loaned it out to a friend who ran it without the aircleaner......
I now have a John Deere STX38 that I am not happy with. It is WAY under powered (for my needs) and is only a 38" cut. It was all I could afford, so I guess I'm stuck with it, but I SURE WISH I COULD HAVE MY OLD MTD BACK!

Fordfarm
http://scroungeman.blogspot.com/

"Progress stops when you can no longer improve your property, for fear of the tax burden it would bring..."

Old 06-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #16
dougand3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been pleased with my 2000 MTD 667 42" 15.5hp Tecumseh. It starts every time, just sips gas, (let it cool down - afterfire). Does what I need - cutting grass and light hauling. Clean oil, clean air filter, sharpen blades, keep dirt/debris off - all it asks. Tecumseh doesn't seem to have a good rep but it has never failed me. If it dies, I'll drop another $150 and get another one LOL. Here in southeast TN, north GA, tho, it hasn't rained enough to need it for 3 weeks.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #17
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Long time, no see Doug. Welcome back to Tractor Forum! Great to see you posting again. I am over in southwest TN and although the rain has been more steady this year as opposed to last summer; it has not been enough to warrant me cutting my grass but about every 3 weeks as well.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #18
dougand3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Chief....I lost track when TF was down...great it's back up. Now, here's a geography quiz for you..."What SW Tenn town once had a snow, yes, snow skiing 'resort'? We went to it in the early 80s from mempho.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #19
Fordfarm
Supporting Member
TRKTR_SUPPORTER.png

Tractors

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here in SE Nebraska, it has rained just enough to make the grass grow, but gas costs so much, I can't afford to mow it!

Fordfarm
http://scroungeman.blogspot.com/

"Progress stops when you can no longer improve your property, for fear of the tax burden it would bring..."

Old 10-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #20
lb59

Quote:
Originally posted by bontai Joe
My only real complaint with MTD is their use of the name Bolens and Troy-Bilt on tractors. It's just my opinion, but the average, uneducated suburban homeowner probably thinks he is getting more than he is, when he sees those names. Bolens tractors were awesome machines back-in-the-day, and Troy-Bilt's rep was built on tillers that were almost indistructable, But now they are marketing tractors (and I realize they are inexpensive compared to more substantial machines) with those names and cashing in on a reputation that these machines don't really deserve. .
It's this sort of deception that irks me?

lb. 59

Quick Reply