Old 07-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
bontai Joe
Lifetime Supporting Member
TRKTR_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Montgomery Ward FARM tractor

This is a small farm tractor gotten from Montgomery Ward. If anyone out there knows the history of this, and who actually made these, PLEASE let me know as my curiosity is driving me nuts! Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11757&item=3829839023&rd=1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
jodyand
EX Super Mod

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know but i didn't know Monkey Wards ever sold anything that big

Jody:usaflag:

Dodge
you drive the Rest I drive the Best.:driving: :tractorsm
1525 Cub Cadet
Snapper Comet

Old 07-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
Deerehunter

I think the tractor is actually a Cletrac General GG and Monkey Wards put their name on it. They also sold hit miss engines called Sattley's that were made by Nelson Bros. The Cletrac General GG is a fairly rare tractor. There is a guy who brings one to Jacktown every so often that runs on 6 or 8 B&S engines. He has them mounted on the outside of the frame on both sides of the tractor. The nice thing is, he did a good job as it can be put back original with very little effort.

The Truth Is Out There :ufo:

Old 07-29-2004, 05:28 PM   #4
John-in-Ga
john-in-ga

bontai joe

I don’t know anything about “your” tractor but, for fun, I tried to find some info on it via an internet search.

I found the picture below at this Web Site: http://www.little-mountain.com/pioneer/Pages/2004pics.html

It doesn’t exactly match yours but in my search I got the impression that a front wheel mechanism off a Avery A, General GG, or Moline BG would fit this tractor. If my assumptions are correct it is possible the front wheel on the one in “your” picture or the one in “my” picture could have been changed. Hope this helps in your quest for information on the tractor in “your ” picture. So far I have not been able to find anything on a company call Custom that made anything like the tractors in “our” pictures.

This is an excerpt from the caption that goes with the picture:
1948 Custom tractor owned by Mr. Millsaps of Lynchburg, Tennessee. The Custom tractors were sold by Montgomery Ward

It worked until I fixed it.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
CatDaddy

Wow, that's sharp! I wish I could start collecting tractors (especially the unusual ones). I just don't think the wife will let me (given our current financial status).

Haiku

Spring is in the air
green fingers reach for the sun
fire up the mower

Old 07-29-2004, 08:42 PM   #6
gwill

The tractor on the eBay site is a B.F. Avery, sold by Wards and built by General in the old Cletrack works in Cleveland, OH. They were later moved to somewhere in TN. The company was later bought out by M.M. who sold the same tractor as the M.M BF. I think, but am not sure the engine was a Hercules.

The other tractor shown in another post is a Custom, (an entirely different tractor) built in Shelbyville, IN, and marketed by Wards with their name on it. It was powered by a 6 cylinder chrysler engine and had a fluid drive coupling... so it couldn't be stalled. I saw my first one in 1947.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:07 AM   #7
bontai Joe

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thank you George and everyone else! I'll sleep better tonight I wish Sears, and the other giant merchantile stores still sold the wide variety of stuff they used to sell. I'm only 48 and I remember Sears selling baby chickens, and a whole lot of farm stuff. They even had a special catalog for farms. Used to be able to by kit houses, back in the day. Now your lucky if you can find clothes that fit at Sears, Penny's, etc.

Old 07-31-2004, 05:25 AM   #8
Ingersoll444

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had a little Wards rear engine rider when I was a kid, but I guess thats a little diferent.

Hard to imange thes places selling this kinda stuff. Guess I am just to young to remember. Now for you oldtimmers. Did they sell this stuff at the stores? Or was it just catalog order?

Ingersoll224
Ingersoll444
Ford 8N
2 old Gravely L's

Old 07-31-2004, 09:14 AM   #9
gwill

Quote:
Originally posted by Ingersoll444

Hard to imange thes places selling this kinda stuff. Guess I am just to young to remember. Now for you oldtimmers. Did they sell this stuff at the stores? Or was it just catalog order?
Our local Wards store had an annex called the Wards Farm Store. They had fencing, milking machines, and general farm supplies on display. Yes, they had the tractors on display as well... at least two of them.

They even brought one to the first ever tractor pull in our area. With the fluid drive, it amazed everyone by continueing to churn away without ever stalling. This was at our county fair in 1947.

George Willer

Quick Reply