Featured Tractor of October - Centaur 2G Sulky
Tractor Forum > General Tractor Forums > Snow Removal > Fertilizer as ice melt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Carl Spangler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fertilizer as ice melt

I have read and heard in the past that lawn fertilizer is good for using as ice melt and it will not harm concrete like salt will. I have a new driveway, sidewalk, and porch that I do not want ruined with salt.

Now , does anyone know what fertilizer I should use as ice melt? I had a partial bag of 12-22-6 that I tried. It barely did anything. Made a few tiny circles in the ice here and there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
jodyand
EX Super Mod
TRKTR_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know any thing about ice but i know when Fertilizer gets wet its slicker then owl sh!t I don't think you would be able to walk very good on it.

Jody:usaflag:

Dodge
you drive the Rest I drive the Best.:driving: :tractorsm
1525 Cub Cadet
Snapper Comet

Old 01-05-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Re: Fertilizer as ice melt

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Spangler
I have read and heard in the past that lawn fertilizer is good for using as ice melt and it will not harm concrete like salt will. I have a new driveway, sidewalk, and porch that I do not want ruined with salt.

Now , does anyone know what fertilizer I should use as ice melt? I had a partial bag of 12-22-6 that I tried. It barely did anything. Made a few tiny circles in the ice here and there.
Fertilizer products will work but they will attack concrete, especially ammonium nitrate which is in most fertilizers. Here is a link to a comparison and info. on ice melters:

A Comparison of Ice Melting Chemicals

Old 01-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Carl Spangler

Thanx Chief. The link was helpful.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Very welcome Carl. Glad I was able to help.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
Chipmaker
Lifetime Supporting Member

I know the salt and calcium chloride work fine, but makes a mess and is hard on concrete, but wet fertilizer is something I don't want around either, as it starts rusting things pretty darn fast, is slick as someone posted. Unfortunately the best stuff is whats most harmfull overall.......How about some kitty litter to give traction, it won;t harm any soils or plants etc, and will break down after exposure to rains etc, or sand.......They make a ice remover thats supposedly safe and harmless but the name escapes me right now..........as ice removers/melters and traction aids are not what I would say are big sellers in this area.

This post has been checked for spelling and gramar.....I just elected not to make any corrections!

Old 01-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It is not the actual salt or compound that is hard on the concrete but the number of freeze and thaw cycles the concrete gets exposed to. Calcium Chloride melts ice down to -25 degrees and is the least damaging to concrete whereas ice melting compounds that melt ice at higher minumum temps. cause more problems. Urea is used in aviaton applications due to it being the least corrosive ice melting compound. It is also the most damaging to concrete though.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
Chipmaker
Lifetime Supporting Member

Salt and calcium chloride was sure responsible up north for the infamous white tracks all over folks carpets etc in winter time......certainly could tell by the foot prints as well as the nice white coating vehicles got, and then shortly afterwards as the rust breakouts on cars etc...........I remember always washing the undersie and insde fender panels all the time to reduce rust thorugh but it never made much difference, at east to the amount that made it feasible. Then undercoat was really popular.......Zeibart being a big time player...........for many years..now from what I read and hear is they do not recomend undercoating vehices anymore.........any truth to the fact undercoat accellerates rust through or is it fiction........not much info on undercoating in the south. Is it used as much as it used to be used back in the 60 and 70's?

I remember as a youngin, a felow had a water cooled hit & miss type engine (herculles IIRC) and he used it in his masonary trade to power a cement / mortar mixer. He used to put calcium chloride in the mortar and concrete to keep it from freezing on him, and he also used CC in his water he used to cool his hit & miss with to keep it from freezing when not in use...Can you say rust bucket!

This post has been checked for spelling and gramar.....I just elected not to make any corrections!

Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
cubcadet71

hi im new here and i know theres this stuff called urea. we use to use it and i think you can use it as a fertilizer to.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
JDFANATIC

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even if it does work, it can't be the most cost-effictive solution --- that is, unless you work for a fertilizer manufacturer, or have lots of excess in inventory!

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

Old 01-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Chuck in Idaho

Likes Given: 4

Sometimes I melt snow with urea but I'm careful not to eat the yellow stuff later. Chuck

Old 05-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
andyyyy2

Out hardware store recomends 10-10-10 fertilizer to melt ice in ice dams on the roof and gutters... and the folks w\ $ use crushed granite as traction on ice on sidewalks... thats what i hear.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
hschmidt13

Fertilizer

My dad always used 12-12-12 because it wouldn't kill the grass along the edge of the sidewalk and driveway.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
wjjones
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

Liked 257 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 252

What? I would be worried about the ground water contamination, as stated above salt is most likely cheaper, and way better for ice.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Larry in OK
Tractors

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just use what ever left over lawn/garden fertilizer I have, usually 10-20-10 or 13-13-13. Works OK for me.

Quick Reply