Featured Tractor of October - Centaur 2G Sulky
Tractor Forum > Lawn Garden Tractors > General Lawn Garden Tractor Forum > How To Wire An Older Lowe's Brand Mower With The 18HP Briggs And Stratton Engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
miataman2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

How To Wire An Older Lowe's Brand Mower With The 18HP Briggs And Stratton Engine

Hi. This is my first time posting in this forum. I have an older Lowe's brand mower that I can only start by jumping the starter with my car. LOL

I would like to find someone who can help me diagnose whatever wiring problem is causing this. The engine code is 422707 and the mower is identical to the one at this link: Lowe's Mower.

I need to know how the wiring should run from the switch to the ammeter, circuit breaker, battery, solenoid, etc. The is a manual transmission, too, by the way. Also, how is the battery charged? If anyone needs photos of my tractor, please let me know. Also, if anyone has this tractor (or one with the same wiring setup) that can send me pictures, that would be helpful. I would love to be able to start this thing up with the key again.

Josh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
tractor beam
ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS
TRKTR_ADMIN.png

Tractors

Liked 359 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 249

What happened to the old wiring?

And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea
***** The best customer of American industry is a well paid worker **** Don't believe everything you think.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
miataman2001

wring

It is still there, but ends were rusted. For instance, both leads on the circuit breaker were rusted. The ammeter wasn't wired. The small red lead to the positive battery terminal was rusted off. I just want to be able to follow the wiring from "point A to point B" to make sure it is wired correctly, so I can make the thing start with the key again.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
tractor beam
ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS
TRKTR_ADMIN.png

Tractors

Liked 359 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Have you tried to get a manual for it?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
miataman2001

schematic

I just found a manual online with a full wiring schematic. I will try to follow that and see what I can figure out.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
dvknutson
Legend Machinery
Tractors

That's the problem when you attempt a re-wire without fully understanding what is needed and what is previously done incorrectly. I had a similar problem on a JD 950 where the previous owner burnt the wiring harness and re-wired it and retaped everything. I couldn't figure out why the preheater would blow the fuse only when running. After finally finding a excellent wiring diagram did I figure out that he wired the alt to the heater and created a dead short. He had shorten the wires and retaped. Once I found each electrical componet and stripped the harness agai, was able to correct. Works prefect now !! There is a reason electrical shops charge $$$ Recommend getting copy of a GOOD and clear wiring diagram OR look at a correctly wired machine and take lots of Pictures.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
bradley
brad

is it by Mtd because i have a lowes and when i got it it the starter was locked up and the ignition was killing the battery and the celanoid was bad and there were to wires that go on the positive and i had to take the ground cable and bolt it to the side of the engine

Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
dangeroustoys56
Collector
TRKTR_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Ive rewired a few of my tractors due to PO's redneck engineering - one was so bad, i cant belive it even ran. I went to Harbor freight and bot a rack of wire, and a box of solderless connectors and rewired them.

Alot has to do with how many pins the ign switch has, some have 5, 6 even 7 or 8 pins. The turning of the key detirmines which sequence of pins are activated/deactivated at certain times ( start, run, lights on and off) .

You might also want to invest in a new ign switch and starter solenoid, id inspect the battery cables and possibly replace those too.

Most times why a tractor wont start is a simple inline fuse from the battery to the ign switch ( switch needs power to start the tractor).

Depending how many wires come from under the flywheel ( usually 2- one is the charging circuit, one is for the lights) the wire for charging typically ties into the fused link to the battery. Sometimes the diode comming from the stator goes bad, meaning it gets the voltage going backwards , instead of charging the battery, it kills it - a diode is a 'one way switch' that keeps the power flowing only out, not in.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
jhngardner367
TRKTR_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Tractors

Liked 349 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 175

You can go to MTDPARTS.com and find a wiring diagram for that model,as well.Use the "find similar models" tab,and select MTD,then select "legacy series"and scroll down to the Lowes models of that year.

" I'm busier than a one-legged cat in a sandbox!"
Veteran,...and proud !

God gives only that which we can handle......."WHAT'S He drivin' that DUMPTRUCK for!!"

"I can't fix what ain't broke...you want I should break it?"

Quick Reply