Featured Tractor of December belongs to caseman-d
Tractor Forum > Lawn Garden Tractors > General Lawn Garden Tractor Forum > Do It yourself bed liner for mower deck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
CharlieP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tractors

Do It yourself bed liner for mower deck

Has anyone tried one of the do it yourself roll on bed liners as a coating for the underside of your mower deck? I was thinking of either the Dupli-color or the Herculiner. But would like to know if I am wasting time and money if it did not hold up.

Thanks
Charlie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Live Oak
Tractors

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have never used it to line the underside of my MMM. Last season I tried spraying a wax based anti-corrosion compound that seemed to work very well. A lot of off road truck guy use bed liner to line their fender wells. I would thing it would work well on a mower provided it is the softer flexible bed liner. I think if the liner is too hard and brittle, it may crack when hit with rock or other hard objects picked up by the mower blade.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
diesel_nut
Tractors

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would think the rough surface would allow clippings to stick pretty badly. I think they can spray it smooth or rough. Don't know about the roll-on type.
Also the discharge flow may be disrupted making for even more clogging.

I'd think a very thin, very smooth surface would be better. I'm guessing if it makes things worse it can be removed kinda easily??

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by diesel_nut; 03-19-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
kau
Administrator
TRKTR_ADMIN.png
Tractors

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 330

I've sprayed Herculiner before. I would advise spraying and not rolling.

You can get an air compressor attachments from Harbor Freights for real cheap that does the job great.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
SHARTEL

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have shot the Herculiner on a Craftsman riding mower deck bottom and top for a neighbor and this is what Ive discovered after two years:

1- The most noticeable and immediate difference is the sound deadening. I'd guess it dropped by 50%!
2- After the first year, and she brought it back for some routine maintenance, I suspected that her gravel driveway did, at least, some damage to the coating....but not a chip, ding or blemish could I find.
3- From the above examination, I also discovered that there wasn't the slightest trace of moisture, water or rust - And in this area they rot away in 4 or 5 years if the mower isn't washed/dried and kept in a shop or garage.
4- It does NOT make it any easier to wash away grass clippings. It is no more difficult to remove then the OEM finish but the accumulation of 'stuck' grass does not eat away at the metal when you've applied the bed-liner.

IMO, it's not a waste of money with all the added benefits but if you're after something to make it easier to remove caked grass from the underside...then maybe it's not what you're after.

Shartel

Quick Reply