Featured Tractor of August - offdutyangler's Allis Chalmers
Tractor Forum > Lawn Garden Tractors > Craftsman / Sears > Swapping and Rewiring 10hp Craftsman - 12.5 Kohler Command HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
trucker93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Swapping and Rewiring 10hp Craftsman - 12.5 Kohler Command HELP!

I have a late 80's to early 90's craftsman riding mower with a 10hp craftsman tecumseh engine the engine is blown. so swapped the craftsman motor for a kohler i left the wiring on the john deere where the kohler came off of and i also did the same with the craftsman mower. so here is where i am right now .craftsman riding mower with kohler engine and craftsman wiring. my question is how do hook up the craftsman wiring to the kohler engine the simplest way would work there is no deck on the craftsman its a farm tractor used to moved hay and other things around my farm so all i would need is power?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Country Boy
Bovi-Sapiens
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 114

If you go to www.kohlerplus.com and click "enter as guest" you can look up the service manual for the Kohler engine. That should give you a wiring diagram for the engine. You could try looking up the craftsman tractor on www.craftsman.com and see if they have a diagram as well. Then you'd be able to just hook the proper wires to the proper places. One thing to watch for is if either engine has a fuel solenoid on the carburetor. If, for instance, the Kohler has it and the Tecumseh didn't, then you will have to run a wire for that to get power whenever the key is in the run and start positions. Do you have some pictures of the engines in question and the connectors where they plug into the tractor harness? Model and Spec numbers on both engines would help too.

'76 IH 1066 Turbo Diesel, '73 IH 766 Diesel, '72 IH 574 Utility Gas, '56 IH 350 Utility Gas, '47 Farmall H Gas, '08 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 Turbo

Pineray Dairy -- Quality milk since 1880

Stihl, Ariens, Tecumseh, LCT, Lauson, Kohler, Subaru and Lawn Boy Certified Technician with over 10 years experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply