Featured Tractor of September - TecumsechBrigg's 96 Ranch King
Tractor Forum > Lawn Garden Tractors > Craftsman / Sears > GT6000 Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
RODEO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

GT6000 Questions

Howdy All!

Just picked up a new GT6000, and thanks in part to this forum. I researched a lot, and came across this forum which helped a lot! Now, it was time to sign up, and ask some questions!

I don't know the actual year, but it's a new GT6000, model# 917.288611

I bought it specifically to use with a JBJR, which I ordered yesterday. thanks in part to MGM's post in this thread:
http://www.tractorforum.com/f132/johnny-bucket-6451/

Right now, i have three questions:

1) Oil Filter - I saw somewhere in the many pages I read on the GT6000 the NAPA oil filter part number. Can someone provide oil filter options and part numbers? I'm headed to town and would like to pick one up.

2) Oil capacity with and without oil filter. Can't find it for the life of me in the manual???

3) sleeve hitch - see attached pic. that's from the sears site, a pic of the product. I assume that sleeve hitch does not come with the tractor??? I didn't get it, and want to be sure it wasn't supposed to be included???

I did get the brush guard included, that was good. at first they said they couldn't arrange that for me, but i guess it was there, so I got it!

So far, running fine. haven't done much with it but run it up the driveway to see if it could handle the steepest part (18% grade). it did more than fine!

I have several large projects that I need the JBJR for, and once I get started, I will provide feedback for all future people like me that are researching a tractor / bucket combination!

FYI, I am new to garden tractors, so I'm going to ask some stupod questions LOL

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP ON THE QUESTIONS ABOVE, CHEERS

tractor_sleeve.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
wjjones
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

Liked 256 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 251

1. Is it a Kohler, or Briggs?

2. The capacity will be in the specifications section usually page 6, or 7.

3. The sleeve hitch is optional I think they are about $129.99 or in that range but do not come with the tractor that I know of.

The brush guard is handy mine has saved my hood a bunch of times I think you will be very happy with its overall performance for what you need.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
RODEO

It's a kohler, 26HP, 54" mower, hydrostatic!

Thanks for the reply. I read the manaul several times, doesn't seem to list filter part number or capacity. I'll look when I get back home.

Craftsman GT6000 - JBJR & Plow, Chains, Ballast Box - Trinidad, CO

Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
wjjones
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

Look at my thread here in the Craftsman section (Kohler oil filter?) maybe that will help I am kinda new to Kohler engines myself.. I have always had Briggs engines on everything until I got an old Craftsman GT recently with a Kohler on it.. We will figure it out though...... I bet one of the other members will be able to help out here..

Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
txsteve

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The engine model is on the engine itself..year on the tag will be close what tractor year is..
The sv735 holds 2 quarts of oil with filter..The engine is air cooled..so use oil for air cooled engines..not like cars that are liquid cooled..

Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
txsteve

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can still use the bumper with the JBJR mounted..Tricky but it worked out ok..little modifying needed..The bumper it on soild now permanently..it sticks out more so no tilting needed to open the hood..
More pics here .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73453436@N08/?saved=1
[IMG]
IMAG1330 by Tx.Uploader, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
RODEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsteve View Post
You can still use the bumper with the JBJR mounted..Tricky but it worked out ok..little modifying needed..The bumper it on soild now permanently..it sticks out more so no tilting needed to open the hood..
More pics here .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73453436@N08/?saved=1
[IMG]
IMAG1330 by Tx.Uploader, on Flickr[/IMG]
NICE! I'll be giving that a try for sure!

wwjones, u were correct, page 6, 64 oz, as txsteve confirmed, nice to know from txsteve that's with the filter.

what are u all using for oil filters?

what type and brand of oil, where are ya buying it??? top priority for me, cause i'll be using it alot once the JBJR arrives.

Also, in the "adjusting the carb" section (I'm at 7000'), it says refer to the engine manual, whcih I don't think i got with the tractor? Am i missing this?

Tractor is running well so far, i been having to move it a couple of times a day. seems on a warm start I'm flooding it. Seems no choke, and kick up the power handle as i start it is the trick???

Ya'll are great, thanks!

Last edited by RODEO; 04-23-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
wjjones
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

I use the Briggs sae 30 oil in my Briggs, and Kohler engines you can find it at walmart, lowes, TSC, etc I have been using it for about 10 years now it does pretty good. Maybe someone can help you with that carb adjustment. I dont think there is one on the newer ones but I am not sure.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
RODEO

Found the oil filter part number on the filter itself: Kohler 520 50 002

went looking online, and found it on Amazon...

Found the following reviews:

Quote:
Kohler in their infinite wisdom has changed contractors in the construction of their oil filter. The black filter shown in the photograph is not what is often sold this year. They are selling a yellow painted filter using a Champion Laboratories "Eco" design with this part number. A quality oil filter has a metal interior with holes to allow the oil to flow through it. This metal cyclinder supports the paper filter element. The "eco" design uses a plastic grid with large openings. This does not fully support the filter and allows pieces of the filer element to pass into the engine. This naturally causes blockages which leads to engine failure. If you want a quality oil filter for your Kohler engine, use a Purolator L10241 (or PL10241) or the Wix 51348 as substitutes for this filter. The Champion Laboratores "Eco" design is probably worse than a Fram oil filter. I would give the "eco" filter a zero stars if that was possible.
Quote:
I bought this product thinking it was a Kohler product but it's really an off brand made in Korea. The filters seem adequate but they are NOT made by kohler.
I like Purolator, so I will try to track that down. If anyone can help me confirm those Purolator filters will fit/work, please let me know.

Still trying to figure out which oil to go with. I got a quart of Explorer SAE30 Heavy Duty Small Engine Oil, and will see if my local Sears carries that regulary ($7.99/qt). Other suggestions are welcomed!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
dangeroustoys56
Collector
TRKTR_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Usually only things standard when buying a new tractor are the tractor itself and the deck - only exception would be a return that is resold with all the extras already .

Whatever the manual says to use for oil - use it , specially while its still under warranty( if its under warranty) - because if you dont, and something happens to the motor- it wont be covered ( have to read thier fine print) .

After installing the bucket, id regularlly check the chassis for cracks , ive seen one with the chassis folded right under after the owner hit a pile of rocks hard .

On newer motors, theres pretty much no adjusting them - per EPA standards everything is permenently set from the factory.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Bill Kapaun

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

When did Briggs, Kohler etal EVER make their own oil filters?

As wjjones pointed out, there is another thread on this forum with a list of oil filters that will work. (I posted it)

I like the diesel type oils like Delo 400 or Rotella because their anti wear additive package works better for flat tappet camshafts then the "new" automotive oils, which are designed for roller tappet cams.

The phosphorus & zinc in the diesel oils are bad for catalytic converters and have thus been banned from automotive oils.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 AM   #12
txsteve

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The 1/4" thick mount of the jbjr is bolted from the front of the tractor to the back of the engine..I wouldn't worry about tractor frame damage..

Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
RODEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsteve View Post
The 1/4" thick mount of the jbjr is bolted from the front of the tractor to the back of the engine..I wouldn't worry about tractor frame damage..

That's good to hear!!!

Making progress. Picked up a couple of purolator oil filters. Got some sears small engine oil. Built a ballast box, whcih can hold a bucket of gravel. Chains arrived yesterday. And the JBJR is shipped out this afternoon!

Thanls all for the help

Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
RODEO

Thought I,D share some pics!

I am filling a driveway that was built wrong by the previous owner. this is a circular driveway at the top of the property. The problem, when they built the circular part, they made a bowl of it, it is literally a watershed, and it ponds and pours out down the steepest part of the driveway, thus a big erosion problem.

I am pulling fill (sand) from a gulley about 1/4 mile from the work area, and it's 200' uphill to move the fill. Once filled, i will then grab some denser soil to top the work area, and then cover with roadbase.

So, i built a ramp on my ATV trailer, and load the ATV dump cart, and then haul the fill up the hill using the ATV. I am making great progress, and my arm and back are saved a lot of work!!!

p1020052.jpg   p1020053.jpg   p1020054.jpg   p1020055.jpg  

Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
RODEO

Question for ya'll...

when the tractor is mid throttle or more, i hear what sounds like "rocks rattling around" in the area under the hood. I am new to garden tractors, maybe this is normal???

Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
wjjones
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODEO View Post
Thought I,D share some pics!

I am filling a driveway that was built wrong by the previous owner. this is a circular driveway at the top of the property. The problem, when they built the circular part, they made a bowl of it, it is literally a watershed, and it ponds and pours out down the steepest part of the driveway, thus a big erosion problem.

I am pulling fill (sand) from a gulley about 1/4 mile from the work area, and it's 200' uphill to move the fill. Once filled, i will then grab some denser soil to top the work area, and then cover with roadbase.

So, i built a ramp on my ATV trailer, and load the ATV dump cart, and then haul the fill up the hill using the ATV. I am making great progress, and my arm and back are saved a lot of work!!!

Thats one cool setup you got there......

Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
RODEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjones View Post
Thats one cool setup you got there......
Thanks! I recently finished staining the siding on the house, which involved scaffolding to get to the second story, so I had a bunch of extra lumber sitting around. Came in handy getting the ATV hauler converted to a ramp for the tractor/bucket.

I've got five solid days of work done, and it's going great. I'm very impressed with the GT6000 and JBJR. I can move ~200lbs per load in the ATV trailer, and I average 20 trips in a day (that includes the time to break up the soil with the bucket). So, I'
m moving almost 2 tons a day, not bad!

I did learn to moisten the soil, it's pretty compacted, and definitely dry. I have two 55 gallons water barrels. I put one in the back of the SUV, and one down near the work area. I put the truck up on higher land, and gravity feed the lower bucket. Then, with a sprinkler head on the end of the hose, I let it trickle onto the ground. I first break up the ground by putting the shovel into it, so the water won't just run over, but goes into the cracks I make with the shovel.

With this setup, I am cutting into the land with ease. In the pic attached, the area in fron tof the shovel is a cut 3 feet deep into the slope. the pile just left of the tractor and farther left of the tractor is where I put it to dry overnight, before moving the next day.

Thought I'd share. The many reviews and testimonails I found here and elsewhere on the internet really helped me decide on the GT6000 and the JBJR, and since I am very pleased, I thought I'd also share my testimonial!

I've got 18 hours on the tractor. If this rig holds up, and doesn't break down, then I give it 10 stars out of 10 stars. Here's knocking on wood that will be the case!

Enjoy!
p1020080.jpg  

Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
wjjones
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

Thats a pretty good system there, and seems to be working great.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #19
txsteve

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How do you feel about the reverse push in pedal yet ?. I used the tractor for an hour or two and that pedal needed to change asap.
So I used what ever I had that happen to be a VW Bug brake pedal..Then I also shaved the reverse slot on the transaxle so I had more speed n power in reverse..
I have pictures what slot to shave..
Works great back n forth,back n forth..
Then I added the snowmobile hood latch so the hood won't bounce..that show no movement in this video..

Hood latch kit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-HOOD-LATCH-STRAP-KIT-ULTRA-XLT-XCR-XC-SPX-M-10-/290659934856?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item43acaea288

Last edited by txsteve; 05-11-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
wjjones
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

Yep I took your tip, and did the same thing to mine it really is faster in reverse now. Thankyou for the tip....

Quick Reply