Featured Tractor of September - TecumsechBrigg's 96 Ranch King
Tractor Forum > Lawn Garden Tractors > Craftsman / Sears > Anti-Sway Bar Purpose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
RedTiger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Anti-Sway Bar Purpose?

Hi Folks -

New homeowner and new tractor owner.

I have ~3 acres of VERY rough terrain (hilly, rocky, etc...) that I'm looking to landscape on my own over time, so I got a DGS 6500.

First day I was 'discovering' the spots I could mow easily and the spots I couldn't - getting the deck stuck on a hump several times times (even had to tow my tractor off of a steep hill I lost traction on). After a few minutes I found an "L" shaped metal bracked and two bolts in the grass. A little while later I looked under the back and saw a metal bar hanging down. I took the bar off completely and finished the grass.

Long story short, according to the parts manual the bracket and arm comprise the anti-sway bar and bracket for the deck (the "L" shaped bracket apparently attaches to the tractor frame). Apparently I pulled the bracket bolts clean out of the nuts (saw parts of the thread still in the bolt), and bent the arm (don't ask...)

My question is - what is the anti-sway bar for? Is it absolutely necessary? Like I said, I cut the rest of the grass without even noticing anything was wrong, so it's apparently not affecting the cut at all. I should probably mention that due to the terrain, I operate at low speeds mostly.

-rt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
jd3203

I amy be wrong but I believe the sway bar(s) keep the deck in alignment with the tractor thereby keeping the deck from swinging enough to hit the tires. If the tires are hit, tire damage is an absolute and distruction of the mower is a possibility.

Can't say for sure if you will have a problem since you ran the tractor/mower without the bars with no problems. I had problems (as in tire damage) when I did the same thing with a mower attached to a MF TO-30.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
HYDROGUARDIAN16
LT/GT Moderator

Tractors

get a toro or a simplicity thats all I have to say. but hey those tuff torq hydros in those are very strong

2003 Simplicity Regent 18HP Vtwin
-
1986 Bolens 1800 / 5018H
-46" 2 stage snow thrower
-
1966 Wheel Horse 606
-
Gravely 3 Wheel Triplex mower
-
70's Jacobsen 1000 chief

Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
RedTiger

jd3203 - That sounds unpleasant.. but thanks for the heads up!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
john walsh
Tractors

Craftsman "L" bracket for deck

This part is one that I have had to weld on both my 46" and my wife's 42" Craftsman rider. It is made of soft, low-carbon steel and in both cases broke at the bend. In both cases, it was broken for a while (rust at break point)and I only found it after inspecting for other things and on my wife's, when checking blades and finding deck would rock side-to-side more than it should. Fix was to add material at the bend when being rewelded. BTW, my frame was cracked almost all of the way thru at the "L" brackets attachment point ON MY 46"(cheap, thin frame material, with too many punched holes in it). Added material to frame before welding it. too! CHECK YOURS!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
wjjones
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

Liked 256 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
Hi Folks -

New homeowner and new tractor owner.

I have ~3 acres of VERY rough terrain (hilly, rocky, etc...) that I'm looking to landscape on my own over time, so I got a DGS 6500.

First day I was 'discovering' the spots I could mow easily and the spots I couldn't - getting the deck stuck on a hump several times times (even had to tow my tractor off of a steep hill I lost traction on). After a few minutes I found an "L" shaped metal bracked and two bolts in the grass. A little while later I looked under the back and saw a metal bar hanging down. I took the bar off completely and finished the grass.

Long story short, according to the parts manual the bracket and arm comprise the anti-sway bar and bracket for the deck (the "L" shaped bracket apparently attaches to the tractor frame). Apparently I pulled the bracket bolts clean out of the nuts (saw parts of the thread still in the bolt), and bent the arm (don't ask...)

My question is - what is the anti-sway bar for? Is it absolutely necessary? Like I said, I cut the rest of the grass without even noticing anything was wrong, so it's apparently not affecting the cut at all. I should probably mention that due to the terrain, I operate at low speeds mostly.

-rt

As mentioned it keeps the deck in alignment with the tractor which keeps the belt tensioned, cut level, etc all working the way it is supposed too. If run this way very long you will snap the deck belt i have seen it happen before, and your links, etc will get bent up over time.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
dangeroustoys56
Collector
TRKTR_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 30

MTD's are loaded with those - theres 4 main ones for making the deck 'float' and 2 for lifting it- theres also a large plate on the back for centering the deck - if any one of those gets bent or falls off- itll twist the deck out of position and either break the belt, the deck will hit the tires or will scalp the lawn.

Id pull the deck off and go thru the lift system , make sure all the bolts are tight.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
dyt4000

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Wow...4 year old thread resuscitated...lol

2001 John Deere 425 | 1957 IH Cub Lo-Boy | 1967 Wheel Horse 857

Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
wjjones
TRKTR_MODERATOR.png

Tractors

Liked 256 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6000 View Post
Wow...4 year old thread resuscitated...lol

............ I thought it was kinda old too but it lives again.. good info though..

Quick Reply